• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grooming an angora crossbreed - help needed!

Casco

Mama Doe
One of the bunnies we adopted recently has a bit of angora in him so has very soft fluffy fur which requires daily grooming. So far it's not been easy grooming him, he really doesn't like it. We are finding it particularly difficult to get under his chin / down his front as he just tries to bite the brush (or us!). Does anyone have any tips for getting this area brushed?

When he was rescued he hadn't been groomed and was so matted that the rescue decided it was kinder to have him shaved so this has probably had an effect on his reluctance to be groomed. I'm starting to wish I had listened to the little niggle in the back of my mind telling me not to choose the angora crossbreed :oops: I am actually starting to feel a bit stressed that I'm not looking after him properly :(

is there any way you could trim or clip him, or get rescue or vets to do him, it will make it so much easier for you both without the risk of him matting or stress trying to brush

I did manage to trim some of his front the other day but I'm not 100% confident at doing this, although it's something I suppose I will gain more confidence in the more I do it. I was worried about cutting his skin by accident - I was holding the fur between my fingers before cutting but still worried that the section of fur between my fingers may have included skin! His fur is so thick it can be difficult to be sure it's just fur I have a hold of.

I have been in touch with the rescue again recently about volunteering so I'm hoping once they get back to me about this they might also be able to offer advice on the grooming / trimming. I know they are busy so don't like to take up their time too much. If I feel we are not managing well enough I will contact the vet and have him trimmed there, I do also want to be able to do it myself though as I feel I have taken on the responsibility of an angora cross so I should be able to deal with him!

It is tricky! I've got a probably mixed breed but basically lionlop but I wonder if he's got angora in him as well sometimes his fur is so thick and so fluffy.

You do gain in confidence if you keep persevering, which I'm sure you will. I've got a lot better at feeling sure of what is fur and what is skin. Holding the fur between your fingers and trimming above as you have been doing should mean it's very unlikely that you'd get any skin. He's likely to trust you more with time as he realises you're helping him, as well. Smudge used to always run away and fight me, he still hates it but he tends to sit still and suffer it for me now. He's even been known to come and ask me when he needs a groom.

Only thing I can think of beyond what you're already doing is what kind of brush are you using? I've found something gentler and then running though with my fingers means it seems to be less painful. If you're using a more wirey brush or anything that might feel harsh on a rabbit's delicate skin that's something to consider. To be honest I've got thick hair and mostly using my fingers works best on mine, too.

Obviously it's better to keep on top of it without any matts forming but I had to trim two out of my poor boys face yesterday so I know how quickly they can form. It sounds like you're noticing and doing everything you can.

We are using a groom-it, this is what the rescue recommended http://www.lovepets.co.uk/groom-it-de-shedding-tool.html however I find it quite awkward to use under the chin & down his front so I mainly use a small slicker brush for this area but I do usually feel around first to see if there are any matts or potential matts before poking around with a brush. I have tried, mostly unsuccessfully, to tease out potential matts with my fingers or start at the end of the hair as I would do with my own hair when it has tugs in it.

I did see this contraption in PAH recently but I couldn't figure out how it works so I didn't buy it! http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p.../small-animal-dematter?pageSize=40&orderBy=1#

Trimming problem areas is how a lot of people manage it - so don't feel bad about doing it. I think it's something you will gain confidence with. It might be that having those spots shaved again and then starting the regular trimming routine while it's shorter would be easier.

It might help to try and train him a little. So don't just bring the brush out at groom time otherwise brush = bad. Maybe try touch the brush to his chest, then treat, and repeat. Do it at a different time to grooming. Save the best treats just for that.

One thing you can use to help prevent nicking the skin is inserting a comb in between the skin and where you are cutting. I also like to use blunt nose scissors for any trimming, just to avoid any potential accidents.

Using electric clippers is also an option and can make the job faster and easier.

Another alternative is using a blower. I know that this is what angora groomers use to blow out the coat and keep it from matting, but I don't know exactly how it's done.

It's got really bad this week, he has mats all down one side :oops: I feel awful about it but they just suddenly appeared. I noticed them on Monday and spent ages brushing him out. By the time I came home from work on Tuesday the mats were there again but worse so I ended up cutting out some of them and brushing out what I could. Tonight I could still feel mats and have spent more time brushing and trimming. He's now nearly bald down one side :oops: (in comparison to the rest of him) but I had no choice. I had already phoned the vet to book him in for a haircut but it's 2 weeks before they could give me an appointment so I think I might need to attempt to trim him all over myself to try to prevent further mats. Any tips / recommended scissors or clippers to use? Or would I be better to try another vet to see if they can do it quicker, would another vet do this if he's been registered / neutered etc elsewhere?

Ironically the area under his chin hasn't become an issue, this has happened along his side which we have been managing to brush ok (or so I thought)

It's got really bad this week, he has mats all down one side :oops: I feel awful about it but they just suddenly appeared. I noticed them on Monday and spent ages brushing him out. By the time I came home from work on Tuesday the mats were there again but worse so I ended up cutting out some of them and brushing out what I could. Tonight I could still feel mats and have spent more time brushing and trimming. He's now nearly bald down one side :oops: (in comparison to the rest of him) but I had no choice. I had already phoned the vet to book him in for a haircut but it's 2 weeks before they could give me an appointment so I think I might need to attempt to trim him all over myself to try to prevent further mats. Any tips / recommended scissors or clippers to use? Or would I be better to try another vet to see if they can do it quicker, would another vet do this if he's been registered / neutered etc elsewhere?

Ironically the area under his chin hasn't become an issue, this has happened along his side which we have been managing to brush ok (or so I thought)

Hi Casco, I know how frustrating it can be trying to keep on top of the fur :evil: Sometimes there's no other choice but to arrange a demat at the vets, especially as there are some hard-to-reach (or cut) areas, so you've definitely done the right thing in arranging an appointment. In the meantime try and cut as much off as you can with scissors, this will mean less time your bunny has to spend under anaesthetic. I wouldn't personally use clippers myself on bunnies as their skin is so delicate and easily torn.

I've managed to give him a good trim so I'm feeling better about my obviously sub-standard grooming :oops: the first night I trimmed a lot of him until he was getting fed up with me then I've been doing the harder to get areas a little bit each night. I still can't get under his chin and I can feel a mat there but trying to get a brush or scissors there isn't easy even with food bribery. He has his appt with the vet nurse next week and although he's mostly trimmed now I'll keep the appt so that she can help me trim the awkward areas like under his chin and underneath him. At home I'm on my own doing it so the extra pair of hands will make a difference.

Back