• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny insurance

Nerual1318

New Kit
Hi all :wave:

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on who to insure your bunnies with?

I have 4 bunnies, one of which has an existing teeth condition which i know i will not be covered for, i am wanting teeth cover if possible for the other 3.

Thanks,

Hi :wave: I have mine insured with Pet plan. I haven't cliamed with them for my bunny but I did claim when my cat had a problem and I had no problem getting the money back. I think another one to try is pets at home.

The ones I've found so far are about 11 pounds a month plus a 50 pound excess, so not sure if it's better putting money aside in our account just in case... Do most of you on here have insurance?
Nerual1318, let us know what you find :)

I'm on petplan - they do cover dentals I believe as long as your rabbit's teeth are checked every year. They don't cover any conditions that they have been seen for in the past year - however after 1 year since last seen for the condition they will start to cover it again (if that makes sense!)

I'd say pet plan are the best, I got a quote from P@H the other day and the excess was £65 (I think?) plus 10% of the overall bill, fair enough it was only £6 per bun a month but it seems cheaper but still works out expensive if that makes sense!
I'd go for pet plan for top cover, more expensive but at least you know theyre covered x

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I'm on petplan - they do cover dentals I believe as long as your rabbit's teeth are checked every year. They don't cover any conditions that they have been seen for in the past year - however after 1 year since last seen for the condition they will start to cover it again (if that makes sense!)

That might apply to some conditions but definitely not all. Rudy is insured with Petplan, I adopted him at 1 year old and a couple of months later he had molar spurs burred - he is now not covered for anything dental, jaw or facial abscesses or even eye problems. It's now 7 years since he had the dental and they will not lift any of these exclusions. he did however also have an exclusion for anything gastrointerestinal and they have lifted that. I can't remember how long he had to be free from it though, may have been year, possibly two years. I find it bizarre that they lifted that exclusion as he had about 8 - 10 vet trips with gastro problems... only the one for dental. ??

The ones I've found so far are about 11 pounds a month plus a 50 pound excess, so not sure if it's better putting money aside in our account just in case... Do most of you on here have insurance?

I have 17 bunnies insured. 6 older policies with Petplan and the others with Pets@Home which I consider far better value for money.

I'm never sure of that either, I always feel like the bunny you get insurance for will never need to go to the vet lol!

The only rabbit insurer in the USA is VPI and they have their downsides from what I've heard. I've heard insurance is better in the UK although I'm not sure in what way. It's something I want to look into though, especially for certain breeds of rabbits that I figure are more likely to have health problems. I just wish we had more choices to choose from than just VPI!

That might apply to some conditions but definitely not all. Rudy is insured with Petplan, I adopted him at 1 year old and a couple of months later he had molar spurs burred - he is now not covered for anything dental, jaw or facial abscesses or even eye problems. It's now 7 years since he had the dental and they will not lift any of these exclusions. he did however also have an exclusion for anything gastrointerestinal and they have lifted that. I can't remember how long he had to be free from it though, may have been year, possibly two years. I find it bizarre that they lifted that exclusion as he had about 8 - 10 vet trips with gastro problems... only the one for dental. ??

That is really strange that they lift the exclusion for one thing and not another! Maybe because with dental disease it tends to reoccur at some point?
Flo has had eye problems in the past (not related to teeth) and when I spoke to the advisor they said after 1 year I could claim again for it.

Thanks all for the replies :) Now we know more about our bunny I can get some definite quotes.

William, it is hard, more so for you in the USA by the sounds of it. We feel on balance that we'd rather pay out a little each month than suddenly be hit by a large bill.

interesting read. considering just saving up the money, seeing as we have 4 buns. will do some sums. thanks

Back