• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E-cuniculi question

JackieS

Warren Scout
Apologies if this has been asked before (I'm sure it has) but I couldn't find anything with the search

My MIL has three bunnies (a pair and a singleton) that live indoors in two separate rooms. Today she found her singleton bun with head tilt and nystagmus. After a vet visit earlier this evening he is now on a course of Panacur for suspected EC.

Her pair do not share any communal space with the single bun and they do not share any toys, bowls etc. we were wondering if she needs to also prophylactically treat her pair with panacur and do the same cleaning regime in days 21/28 given that it is spread by spores?

TIA :thumb:

Apologies if this has been asked before (I'm sure it has) but I couldn't find anything with the search

My MIL has three bunnies (a pair and a singleton) that live indoors in two separate rooms. Today she found her singleton bun with head tilt and nystagmus. After a vet visit earlier this evening he is now on a course of Panacur for suspected EC.

Her pair do not share any communal space with the single bun and they do not share any toys, bowls etc. we were wondering if she needs to also prophylactically treat her pair with panacur and do the same cleaning regime in days 21/28 given that it is spread by spores?

TIA :thumb:

Varying opinions on this one. My vet has said yes to treating all buns despite there being no contact. My feeling would be that it's not necessary.

There could be other reasons also why the single bun has those symptoms - middle ear infection or stroke.

I hope this helps a bit!

Thank you very much. The vet seemed convinced it was EC from what she said but she is going to ask again about the other possibilities :)

Panacur will treat the parasite, but it is usual to give an anti-inflammatory at the same time to treat the damage that the parasite does. It should help prevent the symptoms getting worse and reduce permanent symptoms such as head tilt. I would ask your vet if they could offer something like Metacam for this, especially as your rabbit is showing symptoms which could be EC.

With the other rabbits - I personally would treat for suspected EC with Panacur over the same period, and follow the same cleaning regime. It would give the best chance of eliminating the parasite altogether. They may not share the same floor space, but there is a chance for the parasite to be passed to them on other things, such as your footwear. Liquid 10% Panacur (sold for cats and dogs) is usually the cheapest option for dosing multiple rabbits over 28 days. I use a 1ml syringe for each rabbit, with the dose marked on it to make it easier. You need to know the weight of each rabbit to work out the dose.

Back