• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucky Honey bunny bum

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Our Honey Bunny is most likely 8-9yo and last Wednesday we noticed she had a mucky bottom. We cleaned it up but it got mucky again the next day so we took her to the vet.

The vet said she was maybe slightly arthritic so we should try tramadol over the weekend. She was clean on Saturday morning but mucky again on Sunday so she went back to the vet yesterday for a urine sample to be taken along with some bloods as Honey has previously tested positive for EC. The vet didn't want to put her on metacam in case her kidneys were not working properly.
Her urine sample showed a little more protein than the ideal but nothing hugely out of the ordinary. Her bloodwork indicated normal kidney function and the EC results come back on Thursday.

We're going to collect her at 4pm but just wondering whether there's anything we should ask for. Her diet has changed and she gets 10g senior science select, unlimited hay, grazing time on the lawn and herbs. We don't feed her veg or fruit as she was prone to stasis but that cleared up since we elimated fruit/veg from her diet.

Our Honey Bunny is most likely 8-9yo and last Wednesday we noticed she had a mucky bottom. We cleaned it up but it got mucky again the next day so we took her to the vet.

The vet said she was maybe slightly arthritic so we should try tramadol over the weekend. She was clean on Saturday morning but mucky again on Sunday so she went back to the vet yesterday for a urine sample to be taken along with some bloods as Honey has previously tested positive for EC. The vet didn't want to put her on metacam in case her kidneys were not working properly.
Her urine sample showed a little more protein than the ideal but nothing hugely out of the ordinary. Her bloodwork indicated normal kidney function and the EC results come back on Thursday.

We're going to collect her at 4pm but just wondering whether there's anything we should ask for. Her diet has changed and she gets 10g senior science select, unlimited hay, grazing time on the lawn and herbs. We don't feed her veg or fruit as she was prone to stasis but that cleared up since we elimated fruit/veg from her diet.

Ah, poor wee girl!

From what you say, I would agree with the vet and suspect arthritis. I have found Metacam to be more effective in cases of arthritis than Tramadol, but you may have a different experience. I wonder why your vet suspected the kidney's weren't working so put her on Tramadol? (I note the bloodwork came back normal but of course that's only a rough indicator)

Sorry can't really comment on what you are actually posting about but just wanted to bring it up in case you hadn't thought of it- it may be advisable to apply rear guard or fly guard as there are so many ******* around looking for a nice wet dirty bum to lay eggs on.

Sorry can't really comment on what you are actually posting about but just wanted to bring it up in case you hadn't thought of it- it may be advisable to apply rear guard or fly guard as there are so many ******* around looking for a nice wet dirty bum to lay eggs on.

We did bring this up with the vet but she advised against it as we're washing her bum 3-4 times a day anyway.

Hoping we get the EC results back tomorrow.

Honey's carer here.
It's getting harder to keep her clean and any advice on how best to do the cleaning would be appreciated.
I am using a soaking facecloth but she hates getting cleaned and is very wriggly and angry. Tried wrapping her in a towel and she is biting it. Am bit worried she might bite me too. She is better when I don't try to hold her like a baby which was what the vet suggested but she hates the whole process. I have been letting her sit on a towel with the soaking facecloth under her back end but it's not getting thoroughly clean.
Is it ok to put her in a small litter tray with some tepid water in it to soak the mess off? What do folk think of using the animal shampoos?
BTW - all tests came back ok except the x-ray of her spine which is showing slight changes to the last time she was x-rayed. Vet thought she might have similar to lower back pain for humans and then binkied or twisted it and so it's more painful. I would have thought by this time it would have been slightly better though :(

Last edited:
Not sure if this it best way to do it but it works for my little one who occasionally gets a dirty bum. I put a few cm of water in the bathroom sink and 'sit' him in it - back feet and bum in the water so he can stand up himself, holding under front legs with one hand to hold his front end out the water and gently stroke the dirt off with the other. He is quite small though and I doubt I'd manage it with my big bun without an extra pair of hands!

Hope everything works out!

Thank you Theo. She is quite a big girl and in spite of her age she is very lively and strong. I have also been worried about hurting her even more during the cleaning sessions as I have to hold her very firmly.

Back