• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Arthritis help needed please

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Angel is an old man, with thymoma, dental abscesses and arthritis.

Recently, he has been having acute pain episodes everyday (his movement tells me this is his arthritis, but we will be going to the vets to be sure). There appears to be no pattern, but something he is doing seems to trigger an immense amount of pain that can last for hours. He is on top dose Metacam and high dose Tramadol and neither seem to touch it.

We don't have bunny acupuncture anywhere near here (and travelling is not a forte of his).

Is there anything else I can ask the vets for? It's not fair on him to spend so much time in pain, and I'd really rather try anything else first because the rest of the time he seems to have forgotten he is old, and acts like he did when he was a kit.

We're desperate here.

Any input?

Thanks very much :)

Angel is an old man, with thymoma, dental abscesses and arthritis.

Recently, he has been having acute pain episodes everyday (his movement tells me this is his arthritis, but we will be going to the vets to be sure). There appears to be no pattern, but something he is doing seems to trigger an immense amount of pain that can last for hours. He is on top dose Metacam and high dose Tramadol and neither seem to touch it.

We don't have bunny acupuncture anywhere near here (and travelling is not a forte of his).

Is there anything else I can ask the vets for? It's not fair on him to spend so much time in pain, and I'd really rather try anything else first because the rest of the time he seems to have forgotten he is old, and acts like he did when he was a kit.

We're desperate here.

Any input?

Thanks very much :)

You may have done this already, or be reluctant to because of his age - but an X-ray might show up where the painful parts are and identify what it is he's doing to exacerbate it?

Could it be nerve pain as opposed to bone pain ? If so what about Gabapentin ?

Possibly, I don't know. I don't know much of anything about nerve pain in bunnies.

You may have done this already, or be reluctant to because of his age - but an X-ray might show up where the painful parts are and identify what it is he's doing to exacerbate it?

The difficulty is, is that his life is not hugely diverse. He lives in our living room. He digs things (we can't stop that), he runs around (we can't stop that), he binkies (we can't stop that) and he sleeps. There seems to be no pattern at all to when he hurts himself. I'm sure an x-ray would give us more information, but could we do anything with it? Probably not sadly. He only had a GA two weeks ago and we nearly lost him then. Seems to much of a risk right now.

And thanks Mackers :)

Where is his arthritis? Depending on where a conscious x-ray could be a possibility.

It seems strange to be arthritic pain if it has no relationship to what he is doing.

I hope you get to the bottom of it xx

Where is his arthritis? Depending on where a conscious x-ray could be a possibility.

It seems strange to be arthritic pain if it has no relationship to what he is doing.

I hope you get to the bottom of it xx

I was thinking conscious X-Ray too.

I just thought it might help to pinpoint where his discomfort lies though I appreciate you wouldn't want to limit his activity to lessen the pain, even if it were possible!

Can you suggest anything rose it might be? He presents the extract same way he does when he hurts his hips (uncomfortable, shaking, a reluctance to move his back end, cleaning his hip, stiffer movement, shifting position, etc).

Back