• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this blood? Wee pics

Springfield24

Alpha Buck
Hi I'm a little unsure what to think. When cleaning out rabbits this morning I was presented with normal wee and quite red wee. Now I know this can be through diet but they've had no change to it on the whole. Normal hay/nuggets/veg. They did however get given this chew toy which is covered in beetroot for the first time yesterday. I know it could be that but they haven't had much to eat of it at all really.

Any help or advice greatly welcomed. I should point out that I have a male and female and both are neutered/spayed.
2a8226c8c16f6516fac6aa0fa6934080.jpg

That was this morning when wet. Comparison of both wees

15e461c6d49ad62bebf1fc2515e4af93.jpg

Now dried

ca681368836b61eeff9726aac5388dd8.jpg

With the toy they had

Personally I think that is diet related. Normally when a bun is passing blood it is streaky or there are visible clots. It also tends to go darker than that.

I would take the toy away and then monitor closely for a couple of days. Obviously if you notice any changes in behaviour, appetite ect then maybe phone your vet for advice.

I had red wee before, well bunbuns did. I called the vet who said to watch it if there are any bits in it, but it could be dietary related, and based on the toy, which I believe has beetroot in it, it would make sense. I'd say make sure it doesn't have any proper blood in it, but it looks to me more dietary than anything else. but someone else may know more. can only go by what I saw before and what the vet told me.

Personally I think that is diet related. Normally when a bun is passing blood it is streaky or there are visible clots. It also tends to go darker than that.

I would take the toy away and then monitor closely for a couple of days. Obviously if you notice any changes in behaviour, appetite ect then maybe phone your vet for advice.
Yeah I've taken it away from them and will see if it changes over time. It hasn't changed today in their fresh toilet

I had red wee before, well bunbuns did. I called the vet who said to watch it if there are any bits in it, but it could be dietary related, and based on the toy, which I believe has beetroot in it, it would make sense. I'd say make sure it doesn't have any proper blood in it, but it looks to me more dietary than anything else. but someone else may know more. can only go by what I saw before and what the vet told me.
I appreciate your advice though x

the first time I gave mabel some treats from supreme the beetroot ones in, the next morning, I nearly had same reaction, wee was very red, I sat thinking what have I fed you, it must of been that

Looks diet related to me too :) rabbit wee varies massively in colour and there are a lot of strange colours of normal wee :)

Beetroot turns human wee red sometimes so wouldn't be surprised if that was the cause!

Best advice I was given (after arriving home finding, what I thought was bloody EVERYWHERE in shed) is that if it dries red or rusty it's most likely diet related. Blood dries brown :)

Dandelion / roots make wee red or rust coloured :D

Back