• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing Query

We have just bought a year old doe bunny, we have bought a run which is separate from her hutch, she doesn't seem happy in the run as much as in her hutch, we are at work all day so I have put her in the hutch, is she ok to leave during the day and when I get home to let her out to run around, I feel bad her being in there for 6 hours but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving her in the run all day ?

Yes, you are right, it isn't fair to keep your rabbit in her hutch. Is there anyway you could attach the run to the hutch?
A good solid wooden run, preferably on concrete, would be ideal.

As she is in new surroundings she might feel nervous at being in a run if there is nowhere to hide in it, whereas in the hutch she feels more secure. I think for now she will be happier in her hutch with some hay to chew.

What does she have in her run? Bunnies do tend to feel more secure when they can bolt back to their normal place of safety which is one of the reasons it's recommended to have a run attached to a hutch somehow if at all possible. Otherwise, I'd ensure that the run has nice robust hiding places so that your little one can feel safe and secure. It may be that she just needs a little more time to settle and get used to her normal house before she feels comfortable being in a separate run. In the longer term, connecting the two together somehow would be ideal, especially as there will be some times of the year when it will be dark pretty early so popping her in the run when you get home from work might not be feasible.

Another thing you may want to consider in the future is getting her a companion, as bunnies are generally more settled and happy with a friend of their own species. Both need to be neutered for this, obviously!

Good luck with your little one :D

Back