• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any tips for nibblers/chewers?

FredW

Alpha Buck
Bunbuns' new husbun is a right nibbler, he literally chews and nibbles on EVERYTHING, whether that is the hay rack bunbuns had for ages and was still looking like new, their ikea bed... even the canvas bottom of their temp run, he chews and chews and chews. Good for his teeth, no doubt, but not so good for everything else. I bought him chew toys, gave him plenty of wood sticks, bark etc, which he chews as well, but then straight back to the bed and hay rack mainly. It's not the end of the world, can be replaced, but wonder if there are things I could do to discourage him from nibbling on those things and encourage him to nibble on the toys specifically designed for chewing.

We have the same issue with Toby. Yesterday I bought him two new chew toys which so far *touchwood* has distracted him from chewing everything else. They seem to be more rough in texture than most wooden toys which is why I think he likes them. We got these from P@H although I've since found the top link much cheaper online.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/rabbit-toys/alfalfa-play-patch?pageSize=54#

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...et/new-small-pet-products/peanut-gnawing-chew the one on the left is the one we got.

Thanks for that, funny enough I bought the second one just earlier today, together with this one http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...urals-gnaw-stone-stack?pageSize=44&orderBy=1# and he likes it, hasn't stopped him from chewing everything else still, but will get him the other one you mentioned two, hopefully with enough other distractions he'll stop chewing everything else soon. mind you, he is still a baby really, 8 months, and has been with us for just over a day, came home Friday evening, so maybe he's nervous... who knows. but thanks, will get the other one too and hope for the best :)

Thanks for that, funny enough I bought the second one just earlier today, together with this one http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...urals-gnaw-stone-stack?pageSize=44&orderBy=1# and he likes it, hasn't stopped him from chewing everything else still, but will get him the other one you mentioned two, hopefully with enough other distractions he'll stop chewing everything else soon. mind you, he is still a baby really, 8 months, and has been with us for just over a day, came home Friday evening, so maybe he's nervous... who knows. but thanks, will get the other one too and hope for the best :)

Good luck. Could well be just nerves and settling in. Toby is only 11 weeks old and came from a large litter so I wonder if his is because he wants company, he definitely chews more when we are outside until he gets attention. Hoping it will stop when he can eventually be bonded with Bella.

could well be, Bunbuns did it a lot when she was younger, but completely stopped, now she throws just everything around, so most of her toys are throw toys, when he came, he had no interest in throwing stuff, just nibble things. so had to go and get him a whole lot of new toys. he does seem a bit happier with them now, then her old toys. makes sense re the attention, she used to do the same, she pulled on everything till I got there, then she was super calm. Bella and Toby will make a gorgeous pair by the way.

Awww bless her, rabbits certainly do have very unique personalities :D hopefully Toby will stop in time then, they only went into their new larger hutch yesterday so don't really want it chewed to pieces. Thank you, hope they will get along anyway.

They sure do. Well no idea if Bella was ever a chewer.... as I mentioned Bunbuns was, but stopped, but guess what. she's now coping him, and they are both now having fun chewing on everything together. great to see they are having fun, but .... yeah... they are going to be a handful. lol

Back