• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles, Help Needed!

HeyaBun

New Kit
Hi all,

I am new to these parts but very much in need of some advice...I have two boy house buns, we have had them for just over a year and a half and they are very much an integral part of the family.

Yesterday we adopted two 6 month old girls but it was not until we got them home we realised that the smaller girl is sneezing constantly, she now has a clear discharge from her nose and a slight watery discharge from her eyes. I have seen these symptoms before in a case of snuffles and am really worried that's what we're dealing with.

I am terrified that it will spread to the healthy buns as I have heard that you never cure it, you can only manage it. The vet appointment is in the morning but I know what they will say.

Has anyone got any advice or had to deal with this themselves? I fear I'm going to have to take them back to the shelter to stop the boys from catching it :(, I would never forgive myself if they did but I worry the shelter won't want to deal with a contagious health complaint either and might put her to sleep which would be just as devastating.

Hello

Have you kept the new girls quarantined from your two other Rabbits ? Hopefully the Shelter recommended you do so initially.

I am assuming that the Shelter did not mention that the Doe had shown any signs of sneezing in the last few days ? It may be that the problem is allergen related rather than a bacterial infection, especially if you have her indoors and she has previously lived outdoors. Although a bacterial infection is always possible, stress can be a trigger for 'Snuffles' and moving to a new environment can be stressful for a Rabbit.

A Vet check is definitely the right course of action as a full examination will be the best way to establish exactly what you are dealing with. I hope all goes well xx

Thank you, J-J :)

The initial plan was for them to be indoor bunnies like the boys, but because of the sneezing I lost my nerve and put the two girls outdoors. They probably spent about 2hours inside before we made the decision to move them, but they were in a separate room.

Why do these things always happen on a Sunday when the vets are only open a half day lol. I really hope it's something simple like allergies.

Thank you, J-J :)

The initial plan was for them to be indoor bunnies like the boys, but because of the sneezing I lost my nerve and put the two girls outdoors. They probably spent about 2hours inside before we made the decision to move them, but they were in a separate room.

Why do these things always happen on a Sunday when the vets are only open a half day lol. I really hope it's something simple like allergies.

It sounds as though you have done all the right things, it's highly unlikely that your boys will be effected even if the Doe does have a bacterial infection. Also, it is not inevitable that a case of 'Snuffles' will be a life long problem. Symptoms can resolve after treatment and whilst they may recur at a later date, often as a response to some sort of stress, it can be that the Rabbit never has any more symptoms. So even if 'Snuffles' is diagnosed by the Vet it is not necessarily as bad a scenario as you may be thinking.

Hi all,

I am new to these parts but very much in need of some advice...I have two boy house buns, we have had them for just over a year and a half and they are very much an integral part of the family.

Yesterday we adopted two 6 month old girls but it was not until we got them home we realised that the smaller girl is sneezing constantly, she now has a clear discharge from her nose and a slight watery discharge from her eyes. I have seen these symptoms before in a case of snuffles and am really worried that's what we're dealing with.

I am terrified that it will spread to the healthy buns as I have heard that you never cure it, you can only manage it. The vet appointment is in the morning but I know what they will say.

Has anyone got any advice or had to deal with this themselves? I fear I'm going to have to take them back to the shelter to stop the boys from catching it :(, I would never forgive myself if they did but I worry the shelter won't want to deal with a contagious health complaint either and might put her to sleep which would be just as devastating.

A diagnosis of snuffles often strikes fear into rabbit owners, but having had over the years (and still have!) snuffles buns, it's not something I worry about too much. It's not a foregone conclusion that any of your other buns will 'catch' it - the one living with my snuffly bunny at the moment is fine in herself and always has been. A lot is to do with the immune system. A change of environment is stressful for a rabbit (however much of an upgrade it really is!) and sometimes they need a helping hand to get over an infection. Your vet may advise antibiotics.

You could also think of boosting her immune system in the same way humans do - with echinacea : http://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract (ask your vet about it first).

Of course it could also be an allergy to a new environment, or new hay/straw/litter ..... Do you use sawdust?

Lastly, have you spoken with the rescue centre about this? It may be they know of it, or won't be surprised, and can advise you.

Good luck at the vet tomorrow, and please don't worry!

... and even more lastly .... Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I have a snuffle bun, Obi is one, and thanks to all the great advice on this forum we have coped but it is very worrying, and will always be in the back of my mind. Obi has taken to sleeping on my pillow just at the top of my head (like a hat)...and this morning he sneezed right in my face, can I catch snuffles!? ;) He's quite snotty at the moment again so we're off the vets tonight for a check over. :wave:

I have a snuffle bun, Obi is one, and thanks to all the great advice on this forum we have coped but it is very worrying, and will always be in the back of my mind. Obi has taken to sleeping on my pillow just at the top of my head (like a hat)...and this morning he sneezed right in my face, can I catch snuffles!? ;) He's quite snotty at the moment again so we're off the vets tonight for a check over. :wave:

Not unless you are extremely immune-compromised ... very old/young/frail, have HIV or undergoing chemo ....

http://www.willows.uk.net/general-practice-service/pet-health-information/zoonoses-in-rabbits

Just make sure you wash hands and face if you're in contact, just as a precaution :thumb:

Back