• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help urgent

KSJ 2015

New Kit
This is my rather large lop cross thumper, Earlier today I noticed A hole In this right leg, It looks disgusting And I've booked a trip to the vets But cannot get an appointment Till Saturday...

I just want to know

What is it?
Who too Treat it/ make it Less painful for him

My dad has come to the conclusion That he has caught it on something But there is no blood and I have checked the garden And cannot find Any lose wire or thorns ect

I have put saltwater on it but do not know what else to do.

Please help

Photos you need to copy from a hosting site like photobucket.
Do you have an out of hours or emergency vet you could get him to?

Yes but without knowing what caused it I'd want a vet to check, if he was out in the garden it could be from a cat or something.
If you ring your normal vet they should have an out of hours contact number on answerphone

Your vet should have emergency appointments available. It's hard to tell from the pics, as already said without knowing what caused it you can't know what bacteria is there. Personally I would call the vets back & say you need an appointment sooner incase of infection. Is there a strong smell around that area? As that can indicate infection.

Ah, OK I can see whereabouts it is from that picture. I'd try and get him to a vet asap, at least first thing in the morning. I'd say cleaning with salt water is a good idea. I know manuka honey is good to help stop infection if you had any of that to apply to it. What is your rabbit's living accommodation like? Is there any part of his hutch or run that's been chewed and become unsafe for example? I'd check it thoroughly before putting him back. Hope you get to see a vet soon x

His Cage Is Around 6ft But there is a ledge On top of His bed But his Wire Is thick Glavanised wire, THe only other Thing I can think of Is That When We Adopted him, we got him and 2 weeks later his son and The hate each other And as I rotate Them from the run to the garden Then can Nip each other, But I don't it would be that as there's no blood or scab ect

It could be a nip if he sometimes comes into contact with another rabbit. Rabbits by instinct hide illness and injuries so it might have gone unnoticed. I'm sure he'll be fine but might need a course of anitibiotics.

Once he's treated, if you ask on this forum, people will have tips about bonding your rabbits together or how to make things easier for you with two single buns. Good luck. :)

We have tried this numerous times last about 3 months ago and Everytime it was a trip to the vets, Quite funny How something So cute Can get so angry lol

But on a serious note Still looking for Emergency vets in Bristol

That's quite a bit hole/tear in the skin. I should try and see a vet tomorrow.

In the meantime, I think you are doing right to bathe in cooled boiled water to which you've added a pinch of salt.

As someone has said, Manuka Honey (or indeed any honey) is very good at cleansing the wound and will accelerate healing.

Good luck finding a vet in Bristol. Your bunny may need antibiotics if infection is suspected. It's good he's not in pain though ...

That looks like an abscess to me, probably they've nipped him and the infection has now erupted from the whole you see. Clean (ideally flush ie squirt the water in with a syringe - warning pus may come out so have him on a towel or something) with salt water, you can put manuka honey on it and also syringe a honey solution into the hole (boiling water plus honey, mix and leave to cool) as this works wonders with abscesses. Also pop him asking to the vet asap, they may give you sterile saline to use for flushing, and I would want penicillin injections as it's far better for abscesses than oral baytril. The injections are every two to three days I think if I remember correctly, so you'd have to go to the vet for them unless you can inject yourself. Good luck :)

im in bristol - ring highcroft vets their 24 hour number is 07788 145932 they are fantastic with rabbits.

i don't know anything about wounds etc but regardless of what caused it he will be in pain and needs to see a vet today. i wouldn't try any 'home remedies' in case it makes it worse. salt water is also extremely painful on an open wound.

good luck! hope he's ok

Hi,
Just want too say thanks For all the help and replies, Put Honey and water Into His cut and puss came out cleaned out And let him Sleep with me Lol
Went Too vets In emerson green This morning And They have Put This Concoction Of an accelrator And Glue :? He did go a bit downhill 30 Mins before His appointment But he is better than ever now!

Also on antibiotics And sleeping a lot...

But e should be fine

I forgot to Ask at vets, When can i give him A run In his run? Should i wait a week or until Its cleared up a bit?

thanks! :)

Back