• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss on steroids?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Dusk is on steroids (end stage respiratory disease of some sort). He is losing so much weight, yet his intake and output are the best out of the bunch. He's eating so many pellets and I'm not sure what else I can do that I haven't done or tried. I suspect he'll be gone by the end of the week unless I can do something to slow this. :(

Does anyone else have any ideas, hopefully some I haven't tried :p

Has he been having blood tests to monitor his Liver Function ? As you probably know corticosteroids can cause Liver damage and Liver damage will cause weightloss, amongst other things.

I expect you give him some feeds separate from his friends so he gets extra rations without anybun else butting in ?

I have found using a prebiotic, Avipro Plus, can be helpful in that it aids the way nutrients are metabolised. Prebiotics are not the same as probiotics and they are not destroyed by digestive enzymes.

Is he able to eat Readigrass ? That has a high protein content which could help keep some weight on him. Also a pelleted feed for growing/breeding Rabbits could be useful.

I have had several Rabbits who were at end stage of a chronic disease process and there always does come a point whereby no matter what dietary changes we try they simply cannot metabolise any nutrients efficiently and they are also burning up calories fighting the disease :cry: The only 'good' thing is despite how frail the Rabbit may look most seem to remain feeling well within themselves right to the end.

Thanks Jane. We haven't done blood tests because we do know it's going to kill his liver at some point and blood tests won't change that, or anything we can do. He detests milk thistle, sadly. Unfortunately, I can't separate him and his wife, as she is blind and will fight him when I return him (or her) if he smells even slightly different, but they are all getting a huge amount more food. He's totally enthusiastic and pushing her out the way, so he's definitely getting his fair share (and probably more).

He is as bright as he comes and very, very ok, although today is the first day his fur looks dull. He's bright and happy though, and whilst I expect to lose him in the next week, he is currently very bright. He can't feel that bad.

I have no advice to offer, Sky-O, but didn't want to read and run.
I'm thinking of you and Dusk, I'm so sorry that this is happening to him. But he is so fortunate to have you caring for him. xxxx

Thanks Jane. We haven't done blood tests because we do know it's going to kill his liver at some point and blood tests won't change that, or anything we can do. He detests milk thistle, sadly. Unfortunately, I can't separate him and his wife, as she is blind and will fight him when I return him (or her) if he smells even slightly different, but they are all getting a huge amount more food. He's totally enthusiastic and pushing her out the way, so he's definitely getting his fair share (and probably more).

He is as bright as he comes and very, very ok, although today is the first day his fur looks dull. He's bright and happy though, and whilst I expect to lose him in the next week, he is currently very bright. He can't feel that bad.

I had that problem with Chloe (blind) and Rodney.

I agree that really checking LF would not be of much use to Dusk as far as his treatment goes. It sounds as though he is feeling OK and that's the main thing. I hope he will be with you for longer, but I know you will do whatever is in his best interests xx

sending lots of vibes, when my old nethie rosie was on steroids she lost weight, can you top up his diet with recovery food? if not already feeding any

Dusk is on steroids (end stage respiratory disease of some sort). He is losing so much weight, yet his intake and output are the best out of the bunch. He's eating so many pellets and I'm not sure what else I can do that I haven't done or tried. I suspect he'll be gone by the end of the week unless I can do something to slow this. :(

Does anyone else have any ideas, hopefully some I haven't tried :p

Sorry to hear this :cry:

I had a bun who sounds a bit similar, and the cause was kidney failure. Nothing I could do would help him ... Is his fluid intake good?

It may be that he is putting so much energy into breathing, it is where all the calories are going. I had this issue with Smokey many years ago, I tried everything in the end, grating food for him too to make eating easier for him, he was bright and happy and it was a head tilt ( not sure of the cause) that eventually made me decide to PTS, he was rolling and along with his respiratory issues it was too much and he was getting distressed.

Back