• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Big (reletivy speaking) ball of soft poo on a kit

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
I'm asking on behalf of someone who has asked me, and other than saying it a) wasn't normal and b) Id take the kit to the vet ASAP I couldn't offer any further advice.

Kit is just under 4 weeks old. They are checked regularly and on the last check it was obvious that the kit had a ball of soft smelly poo stuck to its rear end. The kit was cleaned as best could be dry but a tail bath was required to get the last 20% off.

The kits are eating pellets and hay - not known of mum is still feeding but then rabbits are private about this so she may or may not be. Obviously the kit is being monitored but is there anything specific that could cause this. Sadly no poo kept for analysis.

Hutch and run are kept clean, and it was described as a perfect ball so it doesn't sound like stuff that has stuck on by being sat in.

I wanted to bump this up for you. I don't know the answer but would recommend to an eye on bunny and take him or her to the vet if it happens againvor he or she seems unwell.

Is the baby acting bright and normal otherwise. Its happened to two of my babies before (I've had 7 litters over the years), I was very worried. But, in both cases is wasn't serious. Sometimes a big blob of poo happens because a baby doesn't do a good job cleaning its little butt, and one peace of poos gets stuck in fur then any poo after that gets stuck too, making a big ball. Best thing to do is cut fur away really careful, I put on two pairs of reading glasses, and very slowly snip away hair from back end.

I'd advise a Vet check in the first instance, as you have already said.

Also, anal prolapse is something that can occur in a 4 week old kit. One symptom being the passing of abnormally large lumps of faeces.

Hope the Kit will be OK.

Update this morning:

After cleaning the kit has now gone nearly 24hrs and its niw perfectly clean and passing little golden poops

Back