• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to treat Sore hocks please? :(

pudgey420

Warren Scout
Hey Guys

Willow has developed a wee patch of red on her left heel which I know is sore hock, her other foot is totally fine but this one is a wee bit red.
she has blankets in her condo and my bedroom is carpet but I dont know what else I can do to prevent this??

She loves her bunny 500's around the room I presume these dont help :(

Its not huge and Im keeping my eyes on it but anything to heal it??

thanks guys

Carpet can be abrasive, so you could try putting throws onto the floor. I've found fleece or vetbed is good. One of my rabbits has sore hocks and she's an indoor rabbit, so I use hay and vetbed in her enclosure, and on the carpet, I put down fleece throws and vetbed.

Hey Guys

Willow has developed a wee patch of red on her left heel which I know is sore hock, her other foot is totally fine but this one is a wee bit red.
she has blankets in her condo and my bedroom is carpet but I dont know what else I can do to prevent this??

thanks guys

Sometimes it's a good idea to throw a cotton sheet or duvet cover over the carpet, as this is softer to feet. Also, make sure her nails are clipped regularly so that she doesn't throw her weight back onto her heels.

Keep an eye on it. Sometimes they don't need any attention at all and clear up of their own accord.

Hey Guys

thanks guys

You are right about carpet not being great for a Rabbit with any fur loss over the hocks. If the entire house is carpeted then it may help a bit if the areas he rests on is covered with a cotton sheet or duvet cover. This makes the contact surface less abrasive than the carpet fibres. It is obviously going to be difficult to cover the entire house in this way, but it may help a bit. The constant pressure on bald hocks when Bunny is resting can be just as damaging as the friction contact that can occur as Bunny is charging around.

It is important to make sure that Willow's toe nails are kept trimmed short. How Bunny places his feet on the floor effects how much weight falls back on the hocks. Too long toe nails means weight bearing is too far back, thus exacerbating the hock problem.

Sore hocks can be a secondary symptom of another mobility problem. In Willow's case I would want to get a Vet to check him over to make sure that there is no underlying reason why he may be taking more weight on one hind leg than the other.

What treatment sore hocks may require depends entirely on the exact extent of the problem and also on what the primary cause of the problem is. Only a 'hands on' examination by a Vet will determine the best way to manage things. The Vet should do more than just look at the bald hock. He/she should also carry out a full examination to check for any mobility problems and also to assess how Willow places his hind feet when at rest and when hopping about :)

This article may be useful to read

https://www.vetstream.com/watkinsandtasker/html/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_295077.asp

Hello All

Many thanks for all your responses :)
I have booked her in to get her nails trimmed on monday so I will ask them to check her mobility then as I was thinking the same thing with regards to it only being on the one foot!
I have bought her a memory foam pad to lie on but she just lies next to it haha iv been mving it around but no succes yet :(

I will see what the vets say :)
thank you! <3

Hello All

I have booked her in to get her nails trimmed on monday so I will ask them to check her mobility then as I was thinking the same thing with regards to it only being on the one foot!
I have bought her a memory foam pad to lie on but she just lies next to it haha iv been mving it around but no succes yet :(

thank you! <3

You're very welcome :thumb:

Good luck! x

Hello All

thank you! <3

Hope all goes well with the Vet. At least Willow hasn't tried to eat the memory foam mat..................... yet !! :lol:

Back