• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*BANG!*bang!*BANG*

Angora Girl

Young Bun
as the title says that's what olaf does all day!
the banging is him picking up hi plastic mat and dropping it down again!
i gave him apple sticks, and tried making him a paper towel roll stuffed with hay, but even when i had that inside his place he still picked up his mat and dropped it again
i'm worried he might brake a piece off and choke!
but when i come out there hes acts normal and then i'll stay out there and he'll do it pick up his mat again.
how can i get him to stop doing this?

Maybe he is getting slightly fustrated.. My bunnies have naturals balls which have always been a big hit, along with tunnels and cardboard boxes to demolish! :)

he lives in a cage i let him out too we're gonna move him into a larger pen and fenced in area in the summer
hes doing it again!

happy news hes throwing around his paper towel role and i also made him a ball but he is still a little picking up his mat- i'll keep you updated on how he's doing.

Do you go into to where he is when he does it or let him out? I was just wondering if he is trying to get your attention or get you to let him out?
Rabbits are very intelligent and good at figuring out how to get what they want. Or could he be asking for more pellets or a treat? Julie banged things when she wanted treats or in the middle or the night for attention. She would wake us up.

Does sound like boredom and frustration, especially if he's caged. Cages are very unnatural for rabbits, he should be out of it more often than he's in! Change the toys around several times a day in the meantime and make sure he's got a big pile of hay to burrow into to keep him occupied.

Could you get a puppy pen so that he can have some extra space and have his cage open 24/7? Dawn and dusk are the most active times for rabbits.

The toys sound a good idea as does a nice outdoor set up once the weather improves.

eta Just realised that you are in the USA. Bet you are excited about getting him a large space to run around in. I guess its pretty hot there right now.

Last edited:
Hello AG :wave:
Bunnies really do need stimulation and if we don't provide it for them, they'll find their own fun, usually with it ending up as either a mess/damage that requires cleaning/repair. I often find my bunnies are good at throwing/tearing/trashing things when they want something. After all, how else would they communicate with us? :)
I was truly surprised at how social these animals are as I began to study their care after Mimzy came to us in 2007. Because we are used to seeing a bunny sitting by itself in a cage with a carrot and a water bottle and maybe some hay if the owner is conscientious, we may not think they need much more, but they really do. Moreso than any other pet I can think of offhand.

This being said, my three are all currently singles (I did try to bond Mimzy and Pip when they first came to live with me, but for medical reasons, separated them and regret it to this day :( ) but they all live within spitting distance of one another in their personal habitats so they know of each other. Not the ideal set up but perhaps one day that will change.
Mimzy is my Holland Lop and he is deaf, so I doubt he even understands how much noise he makes when he tears his flooring or tosses his bowl about (or perhaps he does?) and so when I hear him making a fuss I just go see what it is and usually he is either hungry or cold or bored. Since his actions produce my reactions, he knows he's got my number. He calls, I come running. :lol:

How large is your current accommodation and how large will it be? Is there a possibility of your bunny free ranging (provided the area is bunny-proofed of course)? Is he a single and would he prefer some company if that is possible? (This last to consider carefully, as you want to keep him happy but not take on too much for yourself at the same time.)
Can you give me a general idea of where you are in the US? Also, is he an indoor or outdoor bunny?

well its spring now and theres snow still in spots my parents say we can't do anything now, but i have been letting him in my room at the beginning he was curious then i took him out again and we just had a stare off in my room.
well hes's an angora and his hair takes up a little room, i'm gonna trim him when his molting stops.
and i have been letting him run around on the porch (he runs up and down)now i think hes tired and when i put him back in his cage he didn't bother to pick up anything, so i'm gonna let him be.
he only has his cage, hopefully he can wait a little while 'cause this week i supposed to be warm so that should melt the snow basically when the snow is gone we can build a larger area for him.
but i'm so frustrated his cage isn't that big, so he can't have a hiding place and he's angora with a lot of fur -that i'm going to trim- so he always gets hay in his hair :( .
thank you all for the replys

he is an out door bunny
and his new home will be bigger a fenced in area it will be big enough for running around i can tell you that.
but how can i get him a place when
~theres still snow in some areas
~ i have no fencing right now
~when he could run off
~ no other cage type thing for him

gtg i'll tell you something later

k back
as i was saying hes in a wired cage so when he poops or pees it falls to a tray,he has the mat to.
y isn't taking him around and run around till hes tired enough?
i spend all of my time after school with him:D
i also give him toys
what eles do i need to do (please tell me!):(

no he does not have another bunny friend :(
i could hardly keep up with him and sven (sven had diarea and they did not get along)

k back
as i was saying hes in a wired cage so when he poops or pees it falls to a tray,he has the mat to.
y isn't taking him around and run around till hes tired enough?
i spend all of my time after school with him:D
i also give him toys
what eles do i need to do (please tell me!):(

I understand with him being an angora it would be bad for him to get poo/wee in his fur to make his fur matted so I've seen wire cages used with them but they aren't very good for their feet, does the mat cover enough of the cage so he can sit comfortably? As for the boredom issues just keep giving him plenty of stimulation as you are doing, making toys for him, hiding food, spending as much time as you can with him out of the cage. As people have said rabbits do need plenty of space but I understand how difficult it can be living at home with parents if it's their house/garden so you have to follow their wishes too. The plans for a new enclosure sound good though, hopefully the weather will warm up soon so you can get started.

the mat covers an area rabbits don't get there feet hurt like the other animals , i know what you mean by there feet. olaf will lie down the mat to nap.

we made him a nice area with grass,shade,a place to hide (which he loves lol),and plenty of room to run around
its get warm out to so i just gotta keep an eye him but as i said he has shade :)
and i gave him, hay water and a toy
and cleaned out his original cage. :D

we made him a nice area with grass,shade,a place to hide (which he loves lol),and plenty of room to run around
its get warm out to so i just gotta keep an eye him but as i said he has shade :)
and i gave him, hay water and a toy
and cleaned out his original cage. :D

All sounds positive! :thumb:

Back