• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

toilet habits

Aninka

New Kit
HI everyone,

I have a new Bunny, Bertie, who is 7 weeks old that I got last week to be a companion for one of my female bunnies (Meme)who is now about 7 months old and on her own as she does not get on with the other two (Tommy and Missy) He is separate from her at the moment as I have only had him a week. He has a hay cradle in his cage which his has taken to sleeping and resting in, which is fine and kinda cute, but today I noticed that he is weeing and pooping in it and then lying in it. When I picked him up today his tummy and legs/feet where covered in wee and wet hay and poop! what should I do? I have turned the cradle on its side at the moment in the hope that he will stop doing this and use the toilet. Is it a bad sign? He is eating and drinking, although he seems very skinny. I am worried as he is so small. My other three bunnies ( who are separate from him) I got when they were a little older (9/10 weeks) and so seemed more robust them he does. Anything I should be worried about?

7 weeks is very young for a kit to be rehomed. Usually a Kit will remain with his/her Mum until 8 weeks and then not rehomed until about 10 weeks.

Whilst his behaviour may not be indicative of a health problem, the fact that you say he seems 'skinny' and that he is so young does merit a Vet check ASAP. This is an essential before you attempt to introduce him to any other Rabbits.

Do make sure you constantly remove all soiled hay as ingesting it could exacerbate problems.

Are your other Rabbits all neutered ? If not then you will need to take this into account in a few weeks time when Bertie reaches puberty.

Good luck x

7 weeks is very young for a kit to be rehomed. Usually a Kit will remain with his/her Mum until 8 weeks and then not rehomed until about 10 weeks.

Whilst his behaviour may not be indicative of a health problem, the fact that you say he seems 'skinny' and that he is so young does merit a Vet check ASAP. This is an essential before you attempt to introduce him to any other Rabbits.

Do make sure you constantly remove all soiled hay as ingesting it could exacerbate problems.

Are your other Rabbits all neutered ? If not then you will need to take this into account in a few weeks time when Bertie reaches puberty.

Good luck x

Hi thank you for replying, Yes all the other bunnies are neutered. The place where I got him from was a reputable place and they didn't say anything about him being to young so I never gave it a thought! I will book him into the vet when they open. he was very active this morning which I take as a good sign. I have replaced all his hay and cleaned out all the poop etc and will keep a close eye on him until I can get him to the vet. Thank you. :)

Hi thank you for replying, Yes all the other bunnies are neutered. The place where I got him from was a reputable place and they didn't say anything about him being to young so I never gave it a thought! I will book him into the vet when they open. he was very active this morning which I take as a good sign. I have replaced all his hay and cleaned out all the poop etc and will keep a close eye on him until I can get him to the vet. Thank you. :)

I hope his check up goes well. To be honest no reputable Breeder/Pet Shop would sell a Kit of just 7 weeks. So if your source gave you any other 'advice' I would be dubious about it's validity.

Do let us know how Bertie gets on :)

HI everyone,

I have a new Bunny, Bertie, who is 7 weeks old that I got last week to be a companion for one of my female bunnies (Meme)who is now about 7 months old and on her own as she does not get on with the other two (Tommy and Missy) He is separate from her at the moment as I have only had him a week. He has a hay cradle in his cage which his has taken to sleeping and resting in, which is fine and kinda cute, but today I noticed that he is weeing and pooping in it and then lying in it. When I picked him up today his tummy and legs/feet where covered in wee and wet hay and poop! what should I do? I have turned the cradle on its side at the moment in the hope that he will stop doing this and use the toilet. Is it a bad sign? He is eating and drinking, although he seems very skinny. I am worried as he is so small. My other three bunnies ( who are separate from him) I got when they were a little older (9/10 weeks) and so seemed more robust them he does. Anything I should be worried about?

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm sorry you have a problem with little Bertie. He certainly IS very little, and will need a close eye keeping on him.

Until a rabbit is neutered, he won't easily develop toilet habits, so don't worry that he's doing anything he shouldn't be by weeing and pooing in his hay cradle.

If you're at all concerned about his health, please ring the breeder asap. You say he came from a reputable place, which is good, so please take a note of their advice. Further, you could also arrange a consultation with the vet if you're still worried.

Good luck with your little darling xx

Back