• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Proud Poo Parent

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
I'm a PPP!!!

Neo's poops have been small and dark for as long as I remember. He's always been good at eating hay but I thought he could have been a bit fussy and as I'd seen many other buns were the same, thought nothing of it.

Some of you may remember a week ago I posted about his matted chin. Since then, we halved his pellets introduced more fresh grass to his hay and now have a grand total of 6 different hays to entice him to eat more!

Today I cleared out his litter tray and what welcomed me? Huge golden poos!!! :thumb:

We still have a matted chin but we are so pleased with the transformation of his poops!

I'm going to comb/cut out his matts tonight and see if over this long weekend we get any more of them. I'll take him back into the vets Wed/Thurs to attempt another check up with the teeth.

Looking like good news so far! Does anyone have any tips regarding checking teeth and tongues when at the vets? A specific angle etc? :)

I'm a PPP!!!

Neo's poops have been small and dark for as long as I remember. He's always been good at eating hay but I thought he could have been a bit fussy and as I'd seen many other buns were the same, thought nothing of it.

Some of you may remember a week ago I posted about his matted chin. Since then, we halved his pellets introduced more fresh grass to his hay and now have a grand total of 6 different hays to entice him to eat more!

Today I cleared out his litter tray and what welcomed me? Huge golden poos!!! :thumb:

We still have a matted chin but we are so pleased with the transformation of his poops!

I'm going to comb/cut out his matts tonight and see if over this long weekend we get any more of them. I'll take him back into the vets Wed/Thurs to attempt another check up with the teeth.

Looking like good news so far! Does anyone have any tips regarding checking teeth and tongues when at the vets? A specific angle etc? :)

Glad to hear that things are improving in the poo department

Re checking teeth, the Vet will use an otoscope to view the inside of your Rabbit's mouth. The Vet usually stands on the opposite side of the table with Bunny facing them as client holds them with Bunny's bum toward client and head toward Vet. T'other way round could be :shock: ;)

Vet should also look at Incisors and feel along mandible for any lumps and bumps and to note if there is any signs of dacryocystitis (runny eyes) which can occur in some 'Dental' Rabbits due to tooth root elongation.

With any oral examination in a conscious Rabbit it is impoosible to view 100% of the inside of the mouth, but it can give some indication as to the condition of the teeth/gums etc.

Good luck for the check up xx

Good luck at the vets and congratulations on golden poos. Mottle and Peaches always have teeny dark ones despite a variety of hay and grass ...

I'm a PPP!!!

Only on RU can someone describe themselves as a Proud Poo Parent :lol:

Really good news :thumb:

Regarding checking the teeth - it's easy for you or anyone to check the incisors (I always make sure I do this with any bun that boards with me to make sure at least those are looking healthy). The cheek teeth or molars are somewhat trickier, even for a vet. My vet finds she cannot see the molars most of the time because of the tongue!

However, you can get some sort of impression ... The vet uses an instrument called an Otoscope and you hold the rabbit still whilst she attempts to see what's going on.

More poos!!!

Thank you all!

We have already had one check up in which he kept licking the otoscope and she wasn't really able to fully see. I would hate for him to go under for next to no reason at all as it can be fatal so I'm just thinking of other ways we would be able to maneuver him/his mouth to get the best views :)

I'm just wondering what else may cause his matting if we can get his teeth worn down a little bit more!

Thank you all!

We have already had one check up in which he kept licking the otoscope and she wasn't really able to fully see. I would hate for him to go under for next to no reason at all as it can be fatal so I'm just thinking of other ways we would be able to maneuver him/his mouth to get the best views :)

I'm just wondering what else may cause his matting if we can get his teeth worn down a little bit more!

Whilst there is no such thing as a 'risk free' GA in most cases it all goes well. As long as the Vet is 'Rabbit Savvy', especially concerning Rabbit anaesthesia then the likelihood of a GA being 'fatal' is minimal. Of course no-one wants to subject their Rabbit to an unnecessary GA, but it may be the only way to establish the cause of a particular problem :)

Whilst there is no such thing as a 'risk free' GA in most cases it all goes well. As long as the Vet is 'Rabbit Savvy', especially concerning Rabbit anaesthesia then the likelihood of a GA being 'fatal' is minimal. Of course no-one wants to subject their Rabbit to an unnecessary GA, but it may be the only way to establish the cause of a particular problem :)

Very true Jane, I think I'm just a little on edge due to what happened with Skye :(

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this long weekend to go well and I'll be stuffing him full of grass and hay at every opportunity!!!

Thank you all!

If his teeth do not need grinding down to the gum line then you could get an experienced vet to do a conscious dental. My vet (Christobel at Twickenham Vet) admits that she is not confident to do this, but there are other vets who have done this for at least 20 years and counting.

Hay is the only thing to grind the teeth down. The other alternative is before you decide whether to give him a full blown GA for his teeth, you could ask the vet to sedate him lightly in order to have a look in there and assess. Maybe even take some pics for you to see what the problems are, if there are any!

Very true Jane, I think I'm just a little on edge due to what happened with Skye :(

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this long weekend to go well and I'll be stuffing him full of grass and hay at every opportunity!!!

That's completely understandable. Go easy on the grass as it is very rich at the moment. I'd feed him the scraggy looking stuff rather than the lush new growth xx

The new grass is a bit rich and lush at the moment.

Just so you don't make another problem for him, perhaps best major on hay and readigrass.
The rough looking scrubby grass I have at the bottom on my garden would also be fine, but I don't know whether your grass is lovely and green unlike mine?! :D

Back