• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurance

Rdgib85

Young Bun
Hello

I am looking into getting both my rabbits insured. I note a lot have conditions with regards to dental issues and that you can't claim for first 2 years for dental issues but only after that of you have proof of yearly dental check ups.assuming have understood that right...

who do you all use and why? And how much do you pay and how many buns have you insured.

Thanks

I have 11 Rabbits so Insurance is not an option. But from what I have read on here it appears that most people are with either Pet Plan or Pets at Home. Sorry I cant be of any more help.

I use Pets at Home forv8 buns..They are alot cheaper than Pet Plan and have no problems with them paying out so far. Can't remember what the excess is though ..or what their policy is on dental. .sorry.

I use Pets at Home forv8 buns..They are alot cheaper than Pet Plan and have no problems with them paying out so far. Can't remember what the excess is though ..or what their policy is on dental. .sorry.

Ditto the above... except for 11 buns! Excess is £75 + 10%. I can't remember the details on dental either but it is from the start of the policy not 2 years in, and I believe (from memory) comparable with Petplan.

Hello

I am looking into getting both my rabbits insured. I note a lot have conditions with regards to dental issues and that you can't claim for first 2 years for dental issues but only after that of you have proof of yearly dental check ups.assuming have understood that right...

who do you all use and why? And how much do you pay and how many buns have you insured.

Thanks

A lot of people go with HelpUCover, or Pet Plan.

The cost of insurance varies as to the era you live in, so you would need to input that in to get a quote.

I'm only recently insured with pet plan (for 1 rabbit only).
Flo had eye problems before I insured her and they said they won't cover any eye problems for 1 year after they begun.
I think they do cover dental work as long as you have yearly dental check up (which should be done at vaccination anyway). Pets@Home insurance only cover a small amount for dental treatment I believe but I'm sure Pet Plan cover up to the max mark.
Costs me about £9.50 a month (but I get discount as I work at a vets). Excess is only £50 and they cover up to £2000 in vet fees a year. They also include so money for boarding if you are in hospital and to help cover advertising if rabbit goes missing.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Back