• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

could she be pregnant

Rita

Warren Scout
hi need some advice please. i have a male who will be 12 weeks on Thursday a female who is 14 weeks. male will be castrated in a months time,vet said 4 months is the earliest he will do a buck. which is good.
at the weekend i split them up as i noticed one of his testicles have descended, the other not quite there.
they are living in a 14 foot cattery, they will have access to the shed when they are living together properly.
i went out there this morning at 6.30 to feed them before work and he was not there, i called them and out popped two little faces from her bed, him with a smile on his face, yawning and a cigarette in his mouth, (no joking apart) i was shocked, how did he get in. i was told to double the wire that separates them as he could mate here through the wire so i put two dog cages to separate them. i sat having my breakfast by the window and watched, he moves his box which he sleeps in climbs on top and jumps up onto the wire, how he never hurt himself is just unbelievable. so i have put a brick in front of the box so he can't move it. he always trashes the place not like her nice and tidy, (typical male) obviously he didn't move the box there deliberately i am sure. now i am worried, could she be pregnant. http://i62.tinypic.com/ipms5y.jpg
this is the house and the inside.http://i62.tinypic.com/2vkn4nn.jpg

It is unlikely that the Doe is pregnant, but not completely impossible. Unfortunately an Entire Buck can and will use all means possible to get to a Doe. I think I would be inclined to separate them completely as he will be living in a state of permanent frustration at the moment. Almost certainly why he trashes his cage. He is ready to mate, he can see and smell a Doe but he has to work damn hard to get to her.

All you can do now is watch and wait as far as your Doe is concerned. At 14 weeks I would be very reluctant to risk an emergency spay. But your Vet may disagree. I would call them and seek their advice. Are you with Jason Burgess at The Wood Vet Group ?

hi need some advice please. i have a male who will be 12 weeks on Thursday a female who is 14 weeks. male will be castrated in a months time,vet said 4 months is the earliest he will do a buck. which is good.
at the weekend i split them up as i noticed one of his testicles have descended, the other not quite there.
they are living in a 14 foot cattery, they will have access to the shed when they are living together properly.
i went out there this morning at 6.30 to feed them before work and he was not there, i called them and out popped two little faces from her bed, him with a smile on his face, yawning and a cigarette in his mouth, (no joking apart) i was shocked, how did he get in. i was told to double the wire that separates them as he could mate here through the wire so i put two dog cages to separate them. i sat having my breakfast by the window and watched, he moves his box which he sleeps in climbs on top and jumps up onto the wire, how he never hurt himself is just unbelievable. so i have put a brick in front of the box so he can't move it. he always trashes the place not like her nice and tidy, (typical male) obviously he didn't move the box there deliberately i am sure. now i am worried, could she be pregnant. http://i62.tinypic.com/ipms5y.jpg
this is the house and the inside.http://i62.tinypic.com/2vkn4nn.jpg

Rita, you have an absolutely marvellous set up for your bunnies! It looks splendid!

You also paint a graphic picture of the two of them, and his fight to be with her.
I can't reassure you that she isn't pregnant, I think you'll have to watch and wait as they haven't yet developed the 'morning after' pill for rabbits :shock: It's rather unlikely her being so young but not out of the question.

Nightly prayers on your part now, I feel .... Seriously though, I hope she isn't. Let's keep hoping :thumb:

I would still keep an eye on your boy because one of my female buns was able to climb up the panels I had separating the girls from my male - I couldn't figure out how she was getting in there til I saw her using it like a ladder!! Luckily my buck was already neutered so it was more a worry from a potential fight for me.

Your bunnies have a fab setup :D

thank you all for your response. they have been out in the garden today in the sun, in a separate run. i will keep an eye on them and hope and pray that she is not pregnant.
just been out and checked on them and they are all settled down in there own rooms. The sooner he gets done the better. bless him.

It is unlikely that the Doe is pregnant, but not completely impossible. Unfortunately an Entire Buck can and will use all means possible to get to a Doe. I think I would be inclined to separate them completely as he will be living in a state of permanent frustration at the moment. Almost certainly why he trashes his cage. He is ready to mate, he can see and smell a Doe but he has to work damn hard to get to her.

All you can do now is watch and wait as far as your Doe is concerned. At 14 weeks I would be very reluctant to risk an emergency spay. But your Vet may disagree. I would call them and seek their advice. Are you with Jason Burgess at The Wood Vet Group ?

yes Jason is going to do the op on him in a months time. I won't risk her to be spayed at such a young age. I only hope and pray she is not pregnant.

yes Jason is going to do the op on him in a months time. I won't risk her to be spayed at such a young age. I only hope and pray she is not pregnant.

Well your Rabbits are in good hands there. I really doubt that she is old enough to conceive, but as previously stated it is not 100% impossible. If you take her to see Jason about 14 days after the 'incident' he should be able to palpate any foetuses in her uterus. Before 14 days they would be too small and too much later and it can be hard to differentiate foetuses from internal organs. At least if she were pregnant you'd know sooner.

Back