• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay for baby bunnies

Hey guys! I get a 7 week old baby bunny on the 28th march!:love: I bought some meadow hay (I know about baby's having alfalfa) but I was wondering if I could give her mostly alfalfa hay but also mix in a little meadow hay? so maybe 75% alfalfa and 25% meadow? Thanks☺️

Hi, aww bet your so excited! :)

7 weeks is still very young, so maybe go slightly careful that your are feeding your new little bun pretty much what they are currently having. When I first had my 8 week old buns, I gave them a tiny bit of alfalfa as I heard it's good & found out it gave them the squirts so kept them on the meadow hay they had always been on & they loved it! :) then started introducing new things from 12 weeks but in small amounts.

Others may say different, but just wanted to let you know my experience my two little tinkers!!

Good luck & can't wait to see some piccies xx

Last edited:
Thankyou very much! Currently she is on rabbit muesli (which I know isn't good) and I was slowly going to change her over to pellets, is this not good to do at this age? Also do I have to introduce hay or can she have it straight away? (Sorry I have so many questions, this is my first bunny I've had in about 8 years) and I know I am really excited! I will definitely post some!:)

Thankyou very much! Currently she is on rabbit muesli (which I know isn't good) and I was slowly going to change her over to pellets, is this not good to do at this age? Also do I have to introduce hay or can she have it straight away? (Sorry I have so many questions, this is my first bunny I've had in about 8 years) and I know I am really excited! I will definitely post some!:)

7 weeks is quite Young to move to a new home. Hay straightaway, and I wouldn't introduce alfalfa hay is she isn't having it already. Food I would wait til she settles a bit to avoid too much change too quickly.

Thanks so much! I will stick to her normal food for a couple of weeks then slowly change her over to pellets, I will give her meadow hay and no alfalfa hay. I'm not too sure if she is having hay at the moment, I will ask the owner and see if she is, thankyou for the feedback! What age is the right age to move in your opinion?:D

Thanks so much! I will stick to her normal food for a couple of weeks then slowly change her over to pellets, I will give her meadow hay and no alfalfa hay. I'm not too sure if she is having hay at the moment, I will ask the owner and see if she is, thankyou for the feedback! What age is the right age to move in your opinion?:D

She should really remain with her Mum until she is 8 weeks old and not moved on to a new home until she is about 10 weeks. With regards to hay, all kits should have access to it from the start so the first solids they nibble whilst still taking milk from their Mum will be hay. I would be extremely concerned if the Breeder was not providing the Rabbits with access to hay 24/7. It is also concerning that the Breeder is selling a kit at just 7 weeks of age.

Oh right we'll I will just have to take extra caution then. I can't really change the age she has decided to sell them so I will just be cautious with what I'm doing :) and I have messaged her to make sure:shock:, thankyou :D

Back