• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unexpected Bonding Attempt!!

Clare-uk

Mama Doe
This morning I went out to feed the bunnies only to find that Dolly had made it into Jazz's run (my mum hadn't secured the bottom catch on the gate) and they were having a bit of a scuffle, well not really a scuffle, just chasing. They had nose sniffs (while I was trying not to have a heart attack!) then she ran into his hutch at the same time, I got to them by then and picked her up :shock: :shock: As it wasn't a planned bond I was quite scared, especially as she had invaded his territory. But after I got them in their right homes I fed them and Jazz binkied so I at least know he wasn't that phased. As for the girls, Dolly turned a little on Daisy and I thought it may have been the end of their bond but thankfully the hair dresser turned up with some carrot tops, I scattered them throughout their hutch and run and that created enough distraction, so they are now sitting together again. I am worried now about referred agression :( they have lived side by side since the start. I always planned to try and bond them as a trio but I got myself too worked up and now I'm so scared for Jazzy and for the girls bond. Why can't rabbits just all play nicely :roll:

This morning I went out to feed the bunnies only to find that Dolly had made it into Jazz's run (my mum hadn't secured the bottom catch on the gate) and they were having a bit of a scuffle, well not really a scuffle, just chasing. They had nose sniffs (while I was trying not to have a heart attack!) then she ran into his hutch at the same time, I got to them by then and picked her up :shock: :shock: As it wasn't a planned bond I was quite scared, especially as she had invaded his territory. But after I got them in their right homes I fed them and Jazz binkied so I at least know he wasn't that phased. As for the girls, Dolly turned a little on Daisy and I thought it may have been the end of their bond but thankfully the hair dresser turned up with some carrot tops, I scattered them throughout their hutch and run and that created enough distraction, so they are now sitting together again. I am worried now about referred agression :( they have lived side by side since the start. I always planned to try and bond them as a trio but I got myself too worked up and now I'm so scared for Jazzy and for the girls bond. Why can't rabbits just all play nicely :roll:

Gosh yes wouldn't that be nice! Good thing your hairdresser brought along the distractions ... She obviously knows you well :lol:

I hope you won't get any long term referred aggression. I doubt it, but you can never say never with buns.

I like the thought of Jazz doing a binky .. hehe, mischief maker :lol:

I really wouldn't worry that the girls had a little scuffle. Before I bonded my first trio the girls really turned on each other when Eli came out for a hop by their run (even though this run was adjacent to theirs :roll:) but when it came to actual bonding there were no problems whatsoever.
Also, when I bonded this trio it was claws at dawn. I was reduced to tears and was certain they'd never bond but a few hours in they were totally settled.

Is there anyone who would come and help you with it? Sometimes it's reassuring just to have someone to talk to.

Jazz definitely seemed more cat that got the cream than scared which is great.

Their reaction to each other in a territory scenario did make me think that bonding on neutral grounds might work :) trouble is last time I moved Jazz from his house area he was scared stiff so I don't think that would help!

All has been quiet the rest of the day :D just me having panics as usual :roll: thank goodness I have such food driven girls, it really settled them. Thanks for the replies :wave:

Thankfully the girls are ok again :) I was considering the 'dating' road to trying to bond them but I think that episode shows Daisy would get the raw end of the deal. I don't have anyone who could help with bonding them. I just don't think Jazz would cope with being taken away from his home.

Back