• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed after rabbits had a fight.

Hey, first time I have had rabbits (or any pets tbh).

We got two male rabbits from pets at home when they were 3 months old and they are now 4 months old. They have been best of friends, binking together, grooming, cuddly etc. They have a large cage and run with plenty of toys. Went out to work (usually work from home but occasionally have to be out) and when came back one of them seem very scared and was running away.

When other half came home we got them out of their run as we were worried about them and found that they have both have cuts behind their ears and one is definitely very scared of the other one. I'm guessing they have had a fight?

Any one got any advice, do we need take them to a vet to get the cuts checked and how do we calm them down so they get along? The one who isn't scared still runs after the other trying to smell his bum and stuff.

Any help would be greatfully appricated!

Just had my 4 boys (brothers) castrated due to fighting, chasing, bullying and biting fur out. They are 4 months old and seem to have raging hormones! One in particular (the smallest ) is bullying some of the others. It sounds like you need to book them in at the vets for castration. In the meantime you might have to separate your rabbits and then rebond them a few weeks after the operation.
good luck!

You need to book them in with a good rabbit vet for their castrations ASAP!!!!

Males can do each other a lot of damage - and will need separating for a few weeks until their hormones calm down . . and also now of course - otherwise a pattern of attack will settle in and be difficult to stop.

(Note - pets at Home is not necessarily a good rabbit vets . . . . . and rabbits do need different treatment to cats and dogs).

I adopted two males from the same litter who were over 1 and I suspect they were given to the rescue because of humping, chasing and fighting. They were spayed and the operation went fine and the behaviour stopped immediately and they are now happy, sweet bonded buns. It's pretty commonplace to be the thing people just don't get done and then why they have these issues. Pets at home should have explained this (potentially given a neuter voucher too?) I would look for a rabbit savvy vets in your area though also. Good luck! :wave:

I think as the others have said, their hormones have kicked in and caused this, they will not be able to live together again until they are neutered.

I would find a good, rabbit savvy vet for this and any future vet treatment the rabbits need. You can ask by posting again on here titling your thread 'rabbit savvy vet wanted in whatever town' hopefully someone can recommend a good one. Unfortunately not all vets are experienced with rabbits. The cuts will need to be checked out at the vets if there is any doubt.

After the neutering they will need to be kept apart for preferably at least 6 weeks before rebonding in a small, neutral space. Hopefully they will then be able to live together in harmony. I have 2 neutered brothers who live together very happily.

Hey guys

Thanks for this, they haven't had a fight since and back to cuddling each other. One does keep trying to sniff the others butt which occasionally freaks him out but apart from that he seems fine.

We have them booked in for their injections next weekend so if they fight again we will book in getting them sprayed.

PetsAtHome did mention they need to be done around 6 months but was surprised they turn so quickly like that.

Hey guys

Thanks for this, they haven't had a fight since and back to cuddling each other. One does keep trying to sniff the others butt which occasionally freaks him out but apart from that he seems fine.

We have them booked in for their injections next weekend so if they fight again we will book in getting them sprayed.

PetsAtHome did mention they need to be done around 6 months but was surprised they turn so quickly like that.

Glad they haven't fought since. I'm afraid you will need to get them neutered as a matter of urgency, the longer they are left the more likely they are to fight again, and the more they fight the less likely they will rebond successfully.

One day they can be cuddled up, the next they are bitter enemies. Boys have been known to fight to the death so please be warned. They can be neutered now if the Vet agrees (have they got their testicles through?).

Was it definitely a fight they had? Was there fur around the hutch? In my experience if rabbits fight they don't just go back together...they tend to remember fight. A sign to look out for is facing each other with tails up. I would get them booked in for neutering as soon as you can though because if they keep fighting you will be unlikely to bond them after neutering. Maybe ask the vet to check if they are ready for neutering when you take them for their vaccinations and book them in then.

Well they have cuts and there was fur in the cage. But they are back to best pals do that's why I am confused, like I said I have them going to the vets this weekend for their jabs so will ask them if they can do it and book it in.

Don't seen them doing any of the tails up thing, more cudderling and destroying their toys :)

Having their 'fluffy teabags' removed will definitely calm them down, and hopefully allow them to live together without any major problems. Their op will also cut out the risk of testicular cancer.

Best of luck for them to have a calmer future together.

Back