• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed - stasis /possible dental?

Iceprincessx

Warren Scout
Hi all,

I am just hoping for some advice from some of you experienced bunny folk.

Last Sunday (a week today) Harli was fine earlier on in the day but when we went to give him his tea on the way to bed he wouldn't eat it and was lying flat. So I took him to the emergency vet (who is an exotic speaking vet) who thought he had stasis and gave him pain killers and something to make his guts start. I put Harli in a puppy pen in the same room as Lulu so they could still interact but I could monitor what Harli was eating and pooing. He started pooing and eating so I started to reduce his metacam down. He's now on no metacam and is still eating and pooing but he's taken forever to eat his pellets. He has a few mouth fulls then hops away then, comes back a few minutes later and this continues and he's only eating a handful of pellets. He's happy eating veg and hay. He has always had access to fresh hay 24/7 and has always been a good hay eater. They vet says he could see spurs. I'm taking him back the vets tomorrow to discuss options but just thought I'd ask for some advice before we go.

I hope I can help you with your rabbit.My rabbit went through something like this before.I am very glad that you went to the vet because as you may already know GI Stastis is an emergency and it can be lethal.I'm glad to see your rabbit is eating and pooping again.Is your rabbit urinating?Check is the rabbit also drinking and urinating.If not,it may be nothing due to the spurs on his teeth.When you go back to the vet ask about his problem with eating the pellets just to make sure I am correct.

It could be the spurs that are stopping him from eating his pellets normally as pellets are pretty hard.He is possibly only eating them due to hinger and he is balancing the pain and getting on with it.Does your rabbit sound like he is grinding his teeth?If so,your rabbit is in pain.Make sure he does this without rubbing him before you think he's in pain.A rabbit also sounds like they're grinding their teeth when being rubbed if they like it.Its called teeth purring.

The meds could also be making your rabbit **** and he may not be in the mood to eat the pellets.My rabbit,Buddy only wanted to eat hay and grass but she still ate some pellets after her meds.

That's all I can say at the moment.By the way I'm here to help.Please don't think I'm inexperienced due to my little posts.I have many years experience and I learnt many things.

I hope your bunny gets better,
Rabbit1999

You are very welcome,I do really hope your rabbit becomes better.I know it is very hard when something is wrong with your rabbit.I kept panicking about Buddy when she got soo thin and she was a bit sick,but now she is getting much better.When are you going to the vet with him?

Back