• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit suddenly gotten so thin

Rabbit1999

Young Bun
My female rabbit Buddy has suddenly gotten so thin that her spine feels pointy.She is spayed and approximately 3 years old.I feed her pellets and veg and she has a constant supply of hay.Her feces don't show any signs if worms and her coat is still shiny and she shows no symptoms of worms.I don't know what's wrong with her.

I fear that she will die and I have gotten really close to her an I don't think there'll be any rabbit that would replace her,she has a charming personality.She hops around begging for food,throwing around the food bowl whenever I come near the hutch.

Thanks,
Rabbit1999

Last edited:
Weight loss can be a symptom of many things, it is important that she gets to see a vet.

Hope she will be ok!

I kind of forgot to fed her pellets.Oops I didn't know where the pellets were.She eats a lot but I don't know did I nearly starve her.She didn't go into stasis as she still eats and has healthy feces.I can't afford the vet at the moment as my parents don't have that much money either.What can I do?

Have you checked her teeth? Is she still eating hay? A rabbit with painful teeth will stop eating hay first but will be able to eat pellets for a lot longer. You need to take her to a rabbit savvy vet where they can check all her teeth (you will only be able to see her front), they may also do a blood test just to check there isn't anything hoping wrong with her kidneys etc. this needs to be done ASAP.

Yes she still eats hay.I don't think there's any rabbit savvy vet around.One vets though did spay her but I don't know would they do much more than that.

How long did you forget to feed the bunny? A day or 2 isn't going to make her thin providing she had hay. I think you need to get a responsible adult to help you look after the bun, even if they just help to remind you to feed her, children should never be left solely in charge of any animal. Ideally a rabbit should have a set routine with regards to feeding otherwise as you know they can go into stasis.
I see you live in Ireland, do you have something like the blue cross or the RSPCA they can help animals for at reduced cost if their owners are on a low income. I really do think your bun should see a vet. If you can't speak to your parents about this is there another adult you could talk to, like a teacher or other relative

I have never forgotten to feed her before and I am in secondary school and I am responsible for buddy,I clean out her hutch whenever it gets dirty,I give her water,I feed her and I put her out in the run and I supervise her in case she escapes.I will email the vets as they reply quickly and I will see what they say.

I brought her to the vet and she didn't know why was wrong with her.She gave her two injections,a antibiotic and a painkiller.I was also given liquid to put in her water bottle twice a day for 5 days.I hope she'll be ok.I can't see her die.

I'm sorry to hear your bunny is unwell. I really hope the stuff the vet has given her will help. Make sure you keep a close eye on how much she is drinking, and eating, and pooing/weeing so that you can give the vet as much information as possible if she needs to go back. Did your vet check her mouth and feel her abdomen and listen to her stomach?

I kind of forgot to fed her pellets.Oops I didn't know where the pellets were.She eats a lot but I don't know did I nearly starve her.She didn't go into stasis as she still eats and has healthy feces.I can't afford the vet at the moment as my parents don't have that much money either.What can I do?

How long did you forget to feed her pellets for? If she isn't being fed properly then she will lose weight & be thin. She needs to be fed properly every day or she will get ill. Make sure you give her pellets, veg,hay & water every single day. If you don't know where the pellets are ask someone to help you. Hope she will be ok now :)

I would get her to a better vet. If there's nothing obvious for her and you haven't starved her then she shouldn't be skinny. She will need bloods, a thorough dental check (back teeth) and the vet should have given you some advice on getting her weight up. Antibiotics will do absolutely nothing apart from possibly upset her tum.

when you put food infront of the bun is she eating it straight away? I would put lots of hay in there increase the pellets a little but not too much and keep up with the veggies you dont want to give too much veg as it can upset their stomach.

if she dsnt show signs of improvement back to the vet, another way to help a bun put weight on is plain porridge oats mixed with some water mush it up and mix a little banana or any mushy fruit or veg rabbits can eat

I would also suggest weighing her daily on some kitchen scales and keeping a record. It's difficult to feel small changes, so we don't tend to notice until there's been a really big loss or gain. But if you weigh her daily you can identify a general up/down trend much more quickly.

She eats straight away when I give her food.I was told to give her that thing twice a day and keep feeding her what she regularly eats.

Buddy is now getting fatter.She wouldn't drink it so I had to mix it with her food.She is starting to act normal again.I am so happy she is getting better.She is eating more and more everyday.Thanks for all your help and soon I will post photos of her when she's all and well.I love her so much,she's my little girl.

In cold weather the bunnies need more calories, just to keep themselves warm. I also agree with the other post that we tend to not notice the small weight changes (down and up) when we are with our pets all the time.
So glad your bunny is doing better.

Back