• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye issues

Georgie

New Kit
Hi

Our rabbit pippin has always been rather bulshy,he 'buzzes' as he hops around and makes all sorts of noises.more recently he started spraying and started to get pretty aggressive so the vet advised we have him castrated which we did on Wednesday.last weekend my daughter noticed his left eye looked a bit red and the fur around it was clumping.the vet told us on Wednesday to leave it a few days.

Since then the other has started as well!theres no puss but his eyes just look pretty watery and the fur around them is clumping.we took him back today and were given some antibiotic drops to try for a week.im just wondering if anyone else had experience of this and whether it was eventually ok?the drops are so thick it's hard to actually get them in the eye!

If it was his tear ducts does anyone know roughly how much it costs?😕I'm really praying they sort themselves out!xx

I'm not sure but didn't want to read and run

When I had one of my boys neutered he came home with rough wet eyes as I think they put drops in while under anaesthetic rabbits don't think close their eyes i think it could be sore due to this :?

Was he vaccinated at the same time has the vet checked for myxi but again don't quote me ;)

Did the Vet show you how to bathe the eyes to attempt to clean off the sticky discharge from his fur ? This will make applying the eye drops (Fucithalmic?) easier. If it is a simple case of conjunctivitis it should clear up with treatment, but if there is no improvement at all after the weekend and/or if he starts sneezing or goes off his food then you need to take him back to the Vet straight away.

Hopefully the eye drops will sort the problem out :)

I took my rabbit to the vets two weeks ago for watery eyes. They tried to do a tear duct flush but the tear ducts were too tiny to do this, it was impossible to get the smallest tube in so they gave me some antibiotic drops. The vet gave me the wetter ones called chloramphenicol in the hope that these would run into her tear ducts. They are very easy to use and go into her eyes easily.

She has just finished a two week course and when she was checked by the vets last week get said she wouldn't need a tear duct flush as they had improved so much, there wasn't a lot of wetness at all around her eyes. She will have her last dose today and I've only got to take her back to the vets now if it flares up again over the next week after I stop medication.

I was told to wipe round her eye with plain water and cotton wool to remove the wet if I wantd to.

Hope your bunny feels better soon. If you are having trouble with your drops maybe see if the vet can give you the ones I use. I'm able to hold bunny with one hand and drop them in with the other, thus are so easy to use.

Oh as for tear duct flush I was told around £12. My vet will do it when the rabbit is awake with a local anesthetic in the eye.

When Emma had her front teeth out she started with a sore eye, the Vet said as they lie on their side on the table they sometimes pick up bacteria in the down eye. She was fine after a couple of days. Hope your rabbit's eyes get better soon.

Hi

Our rabbit pippin has always been rather bulshy,he 'buzzes' as he hops around and makes all sorts of noises.more recently he started spraying and started to get pretty aggressive so the vet advised we have him castrated which we did on Wednesday.last weekend my daughter noticed his left eye looked a bit red and the fur around it was clumping.the vet told us on Wednesday to leave it a few days.

Since then the other has started as well!theres no puss but his eyes just look pretty watery and the fur around them is clumping.we took him back today and were given some antibiotic drops to try for a week.im just wondering if anyone else had experience of this and whether it was eventually ok?the drops are so thick it's hard to actually get them in the eye!

If it was his tear ducts does anyone know roughly how much it costs?😕I'm really praying they sort themselves out!xx

Flushing the tear ducts is done whilst the rabbit is conscious, and doesn't usually cost too much. However, sometimes it's not a solution and needs to be repeated. You can help things yourself by carefully bathing the eye using cooled boiled water and a cotton wool ball. Gently massing around and underneath the eye to loosen any debris.

If the discharge from the eye is clear, it may be tooth roots pressing on the tear duct. Does he have a partner to clean up his eyes for him? :)
This is the best long term solution to weepy eye problems, I've found.

Hi all

Thank you for all your responses!sorry I didn't get to replying sooner,after a week of the drops pips eye cleared up and all was fine!unfortunately after this (as he started to moult) he managed to get mites!3 weeks of injections and he has finally stopped pulling his fur out (he was almost bold!) and he is clear of them!😊

Hi all

Thank you for all your responses!sorry I didn't get to replying sooner,after a week of the drops pips eye cleared up and all was fine!unfortunately after this (as he started to moult) he managed to get mites!3 weeks of injections and he has finally stopped pulling his fur out (he was almost bold!) and he is clear of them!😊

Poor wee lad! It sounds like his immune system took a battering during the neuter.

Have you thought of giving him echinacea to boost his immune system?
Something like this:

http://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

Back