• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday housing recommendations.

Mini-lop

Young Bun
Hi,

We lost our last bun flower due to an irresponsible boarding company not listening to our feeding advice and not calling a vet when they noticed she was not eating much. (she had suffered impaction before but we overcame it)
So we are loathed to use a boarding company again unless anyone knows of a fantastic one in Shropshire?

Our other option is my sister used to keep buns, but our bun is a house bun and she has a dog. So it can stay with her but would have to stay in a small cage (4X2, we will see if we can get bigger) and obviously would not get a great amount of exercise / out time when with her.

So what is better, going to a boarding company where they get more space but care is an unknown quantity or going to a relative where you know they get the care but would not get the exercise it needed for a week.

Obviously I prefer the later after my experience last time, but would like to know what others think or if you have any recommendations in the Shropshire area.

If I had to chose I'd go with the family member. Knowing that your bun is safe and well cared for is worth it, even if the bun may be a bit bored for a week. Maybe there is a way she can lock the dog out the room for even an hour or two for bun to have a supervised run around, which would be even better.

would it be possible to have someone visit your house 2-3 times a day, or stay in your house while you are away? you can often find house sitters willing to stay for little/no money if you are away for a week or so and they wish to visit the area. vet nurses also sometimes offer home visits in addition to their work, and will hopefully be quite rabbit savvy!

Sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience with boarding :(

I personally send my rabbit to board at my vets as I don't want to risk him getting ill (he's prone to it!) and not having someone recognising it, so I can't offer recommendations in terms of boarding places. It may, however, be worth asking on here for recommendations as there are users all over the country!

I think that elmoandfern's idea of asking your vets is also a good idea, assuming they are rabbit-savvy! The practice I use do it, so yours might as well. Failing that, I'd probably go with your sister - kind of 'short-term pain for long-term gain', although there won't actually be any pain! Basically keeping said rabbit in a smaller cage than he's used to for a week, although slightly unpleasant, is nothing in the long run. That's what I tell myself with Alfrid - I know his boarding accommodation is a lot smaller than he's used to, but the alternative (leaving him in the care of someone less knowledgable and him getting ill) is a lot worse!

I personally wouldn't be too concerned with a bunny having less exercise for a week if they are getting the right care. Where I board the lady doesn't have big accomodation but she loves the animals and spends time with them and comes recommended from my vets so I don't mind too much, it's only for a week after all.

would it be possible to have someone visit your house 2-3 times a day, or stay in your house while you are away? you can often find house sitters willing to stay for little/no money if you are away for a week or so and they wish to visit the area. vet nurses also sometimes offer home visits in addition to their work, and will hopefully be quite rabbit savvy!

Not really and would not trust a house sitter as it would be again someone I don't know, so although good for environment, care would be an unknown.
Also they could clear your house out/wreck it and you would not be insured.

I will check on our vets but I am fairly sure they are shut one day so I think that may be out of the question also.

Looks like my sister will be having a visitor this year. :)

Could I help at all? I know the journey from Shropshire to where I live in Worcestershire is about an hours drive away, however I do have 20 years experience of caring for my own bunnies, and 13 years of caring for those belonging to others.

You are welcome to send me a pm.:thumb:

hmmm, i used to lost my beloved bunny due to the vet. i burst into tears when im trying to wake her up but she did not give any answer.... so sad when remembering that memories....

Back