• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny in old bunny hutch

beki

Mama Doe
I'm getting my new bunny tomorrow (finally) ruby is in her new hutch already and waiting. I still have her old hutch (though it is soon destined for the bin). I had decided to block off the layers of the new hutch and give new bun the bottom and ruby the top. On second thoughts in thinking I might Be best putting new bun in the old hutch and positioning them next to each other so they can see each other. Will I need to neutralise the old hutch somehow or is it ok for new bun to smell ruby (and reggie my deceased male bunny) on the hutch?

I'm only going to have tomorrow to clean out the hutch so I need a quick way of cleaning it out, do you think Milton will do?

I may be able to keep new bunny inside for one night but I will need him to be outside asap, I can't have distructBle ruby living indoors all winter!

Thanks

I'm not sure if Milton kills all gems or not, hopefully someone will be able to advise. I used virkon s to clean some 2nd hand hutches I bought once. Or do you have a steam cleaner at all? I wouldn't bring new bunny inside for the night and then put him out due to the temperature differences, unless he is already an indoor bunny of course, in which case he needs to stay indoors till spring.

I do have a steam cleaner so I will use that thanks. Ruby was in the hutch up to a week ago and I had to have reggie pts due to what the vet suspected was a tumour in his pelvis which had caused him to rapidly lose use of his back half so I don't think there will be any nasty germs in the hutch just the usual bunny smells.

The bunny I'm getting is from the rspca and I assume (but never asked so I'll check today) that he has been outdoors over winter. If he has been indoors I am totally stuck and I'm not sure what I will do as I don't have space for a full time indoor bunny!!

Back