• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice needed please

sharon3853

New Kit
Hi guys, if I've posted this in the wrong section, sorry, still getting used to the site. Tonight I made a rooky mistake with my baby house buns and left them unsupervised for about 10 minutes while I whent to go see to my son. I herd a bit of commotion while upstairs but thought nothing of it.......when I got back down stairs, bunny fur was all over my living room and both buns in the dining room ware there cage is. 1 bun inside and 1 in his play tunnel. I'm unsure what's happened, either the buns were fighting, both males but only born October according to the pet shop so to young to neuter ?????? Or in a worst case scenario my cat decided he wanted to play. Either way, non is good. Iv checked both buns, much to there dismay and both are fine. Obviously I won't make this mistake again (in case it was the cat) but are they too young to neuter?

12 weeks usually, for males, I think.

They will fight and pull fur if they're hormonal.

Indeed! Males can be neutered as soon as their gonads drop.
Are they shut in the cage? Unfortunately there aren't any cages on the market big enough for bunnies to be shut in for any period of time, even if they are let out in the day, bunnies are awake when we are asleep so during their most active time and being in a small space may exacerbate the problem with hormones and generally being too close with no where to go. A puppy pen attached to the cage will help with some frustration but if it is hormonal then you will need to be very careful and possibly separate as males can do some damage to each other, after neutering hormones take about 4-6 weeks to die down so if you do have to separate then it would be best to wait until then to rebond.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pet-Play-...tchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item2a49fff66b

Last edited:
the pen is much what I have for mine, but I have six - two sets of three pens. I don't always use them all, I adjust to suit. I have four rabbits, two pairs. so if you can get a good deal on pens, get three. put in carriers as hides. if you do, or if you put in levels, keep them central or the buns will use them as stepping stones to freedom. young buns will be able to jump straight out of the pens anyway. matthew could. just one hop and he was free. he has to do it in two, now. but mostly they stay in the pens. charlie had a night out last week but when i brought breakfast and put it in the compound, he begged to be helped back in. some people use nets over the top, but I've never found them effective.

There in a massive dog cage, but both have free run of the downstairs through the day when were home. The cage is in the dining room and they go back in when they can't be supervised

Back