• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed on extending space without issues

Hi, I am after some advice following some recent events with our new bunnies. 3 months ago we adopted our two bunnies from a rescue, they were 8 months old, brothers who had been together since birth, both neutered. They seemed to settle in reasonably well living indoors in a room of their own that comes off our living room.

About 6 weeks ago we tried to let them have a bit more space and opened their pen door so they could come into our living room. Sadly things didn't go too well and they started chasing each other a bit, then sniffing bums, then one night started circling and some fur was pulled. We managed to settle them back down and they have been ok back in their room. We said we would leave them to settle back in their room for a few weeks but I really want to enjoy them a bit more and to not feel like they are confined to their room so this morning I let them through to the living room again and within minutes they were sniffing bums and chasing again, it didn't get to circling or worse as I shouted and clapped my hands and put them back in their room where they went straight into their little den together and have been fine since.

I would really like some advice about how I can introduce them into the extra space of our flat without the chasing as I don't want them to fall out. Is their bond maybe not as strong as I thought?

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to do it gradually.
Using puppy panels or something similar, extend the amount of room they have gradually, increasing it a little bit when they've settled down.

I've no experience of this, mine have all been fine with increased space.

Hopefully someone will come along with more advice, but that's the route I would go down

Sounds like you need to do it gradually.
Using puppy panels or something similar, extend the amount of room they have gradually, increasing it a little bit when they've settled down.

I've no experience of this, mine have all been fine with increased space.

Hopefully someone will come along with more advice, but that's the route I would go down

Thank you. Maybe I am being too impatient. I just really want them to feel like they are part of our home.

Yes, that sounds a good way to do it, they are much less likely to argue over 6" extra space. You might find once you've gradually increased it a few times you can go up in bigger increments.

Back