• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Owner, Possibly Getting Another Rabbit?!

PepsiBunny

New Kit
Hi there :wave:
I would like some advice, I currently have a 12 week old mini lop and was thinking of buying another rabbit to keep him company. I spend tonnes of time with my bunny but nothing compares to rabbit companionship I suppose!
I have researched into it but wondered what everybody else thinks, obviously I will need to get my boy neutered and have the other rabbit neutered as well.
I was wondering if it is possible or encouraged to get another male, or would it be better to opt for a female. I have heard bonding males is harder?
Obviously my boy isn't old enough to be neutered yet so they would need to be living separately until that day comes. Do you suggest keeping them in separate rooms until they are old enough to be both neutered. I am worried about keeping a doe and a buck in the same room even though they would be in separate cages. I don't want my boy getting tetchy from smelling a girl or another man in the room!
Also does the future bunny have to be the same breed? Or can it be a different breed but the same size ish
Sorry about all the questions, just want to do the right thing!
Thank you in advance for your replies :love:

Breed and size isn't really an issue but I would opt for a neutered female rather than another male. Why don't you wait until after yours has been neutered and then try and find him a mate? Are there any rescues near you that may be able to help both on getting another and with the bonding?

Breed and size isn't really an issue but I would opt for a neutered female rather than another male. Why don't you wait until after yours has been neutered and then try and find him a mate? Are there any rescues near you that may be able to help both on getting another and with the bonding?

Thank you for your reply, I'm glad breed and size isn't an issue :)
There are plenty of rescue centres but unfortunately I do not own a car so it is difficult for me to get to them, my boyfriend doesn't drive either. I adopted my current bunny from a family who were finding it difficult to re-home him due to his colour. I would prefer to adopt of course! I will definitely not be buying a rabbit from a pet store.

Back