• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding again after time apart - humping!!

rlg1

New Kit
This might sound silly but my rabbits are only still very young (almost 10 weeks) they have spent a week apart as the female bunny wasn't very well. She has just come home today with a clean bill of health but Louie my male bunny is chasing her and vigorously humping her any way he can. Which I know is very normal! BUT he is nibbling or biting the back of her neck she did make a noise like a squeal and I literally couldn't get louie off her neck. He is very active and curious where as she is more timid. I'm just worried she will not settle back in very well when she has Louie constantly jumping on her and not giving her a minutes peace. She got ill initially due to stress and I'm just worried that it will affect her in the same way.

They're out at the minute and he seems to have eased off but when ever she moves he's on her and she's trying to get away. I'm worried about putting them back in their house together tonight!

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is completely normal I'm just new to this bunny business!!

Hello,

I suspect it will be two reasons: 1) your female will smell funny, having stayed at the vets and 2) your male's hormones may be kicking in . Is he the same age as your female? When he's old enough (around 16 weeks) it'd be a good idea to neuter him, so to prevent these sort of behaviours in future. Rabbits can get pregnant very easily and young, so I'd also recommend separating them until he's neutered, to prevent any unwanted litters! You may not see this until tomorrow but I wouldn't want to leave them alone together if they're at risk of fighting.

Back