• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What bedding to use?

FloLo

Alpha Buck
I have always used good quality sawdust and straw.
I was just looking on viovet and I saw these 'Carefresh' and 'Tumblrefresh' beddings made from virgin wood pulp.
Are they any better ?

Carefresh is good, I think, shavings are not good for bunnies as it can give them respiratory problems. I don't bother with straw as there is no nutritional value in it if they eat it. I just use newspaper and hay. Lots of folk seem to like Fitch :)

I would advise you against sawdust as it's very fine and can cause respiratory problems and ear/eye problems if it gets into those.

I use shavings in the litter tray as it absorbs wee quite quickly, helping to avoid them getting wet feet.

In my rabbits' bed chamber in the hutch I have 2 decent newspapers i.e. the Sun on Saturday as it's quite thick, then a piece of old carpet cut to size and on top of that I have hay that they wouldn't eat. However, once the temperature starts to drop I shall replace that hay with straw as straw is warmer than hay. Yes it has less nutritional value if they eat it, but it holds the heat in better.

We get Carefresh for the hamster. I wouldn't get it for the rabbits as its too expensive considering the amount you'd need, but that's my opinion :)

I would advise you against sawdust as it's very fine and can cause respiratory problems and ear/eye problems if it gets into those.

I use shavings in the litter tray as it absorbs wee quite quickly, helping to avoid them getting wet feet.

In my rabbits' bed chamber in the hutch I have 2 decent newspapers i.e. the Sun on Saturday as it's quite thick, then a piece of old carpet cut to size and on top of that I have hay that they wouldn't eat. However, once the temperature starts to drop I shall replace that hay with straw as straw is warmer than hay. Yes it has less nutritional value if they eat it, but it holds the heat in better.

We get Carefresh for the hamster. I wouldn't get it for the rabbits as its too expensive considering the amount you'd need, but that's my opinion :)

Ahh yeah I mean like wood shavings rather than actual dust haha :lol:
I like the carpet idea, might have to try that!
Flo doesn't eat much hay anyway so I just use straw. She is currently single so it keeps her snug in her bed.
Thank you for the advice!

Have you tried megazorb?? It's what ppl use for horses? We use it for our bunnies litter tray! It's really cheap for a massive bag and it's really absorbent. It's recycled paper or Something. Go to a local farm shop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recycled paper (shredded) mixed with hay and newspaper underneath it all.

then under the newpaper I slide in a snugglesafe warm pad

Back