• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging for indoor rabbits

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have any ideas for something for indoor rabbits to dig on?

My girls free range in their bedroom, but last couple of weeks Binky had been non stop digging at the door. I think it's for attention because as soon as we get half way up the stairs it stops, and when we open the door she is waiting stood up on her back legs right there at the door :love: I'm gonna see if a baby gate stops her digging on the actual door, cos like it's not mine :lol: but I think I should give her something she can dig on if I'm blocking off access to where she is currently digging

Doughnut digs on the door as she wants it opened.

I got this this morning. She free ranges and heard me outside so dug on it. She wants to get to the kitchen where the food is, that's why. She also sometimes does this when I'm sitting in the lounge with her as she wants a treat!

Yeah she definitely just wants the door opening. If it was my door I would just leave her too it and buy new ones as she destroyed them :lol:

I think it's sweet in the morning. She hears me in the kitchen and I open the door slowly and her little face peeks out, she's so excited.

Not sure getting other digging stuff will work as it's the door she wants opened to get to the food, not the actual digging!

Good luck though.

I'm not sure she's digging for digging reasons but attention seeking, she hears you coming, digs and you open the door - so to her, digging makes you open the door. The baby gate is a good idea though, that might help. If it continues, you could try waiting her out. So stand outside the door but don't open it until she gets fed up of digging. That way not digging gets the reward.

A digging box is still a good idea though. It depends how big you want to go and how messy :lol: A trug full of soil, a sandpit on top of a piece of lino or board, a covered cat litter tray, a wooden toy box with a bunny size hole or pipe into it....

Back