• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - bald patches.

I've been attempting to bond my two buns since June. Although they have always been able to flop in front of each other and tolerate each others presence (even after a few broken up scuffles early on) they've never really bonded enough where they are sat together/sleeping together etc. Thumper, my 8yr male (neutered 7 1/2 years ago) is still humping, not relentlessly but tries it on whenever they are near each other and as he does so he pulls out her fur. I had them in a small inside space for a week (after two weeks apart following previous bonding fails), then once the humping subsided, moved them to the shed, then gradually increased the space bit by bit whenever i noticed the humping was at a minimum. Still, the humping and fur pulling persists. Poor Poppet, 1 yo female, now has these bald patches. There's no fighting what so ever, but poppet is not budging and wont groom Thump she occasionally tries to hump him (i have a camera installed in the shed to keep an eye on them) but I think this unwillingness to concede is keeping thumper fur pulling. Her back looks so bad I really feel like I am doing more harm than good for her. Here is a pic: http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp61/honeylovesthumper/Poppet Fur/20140813_111636.jpg
Is this ok, or is she really suffering?

I think as long as the bald patches don't start to look sore then hopefully with time things should start to settle down. IF they don't in another month or so it might be that your boy has a health problem (which makes him produce hormones) which can happen even though he is neutered. We have 1 or 2 members with a similar problem so come back for more help later. Fingers crossed he will stop the humping.

Back