• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best way to clean bunny bottoms?

TD86

Alpha Buck
Anyone know the best way to do this? Have just tried warm salty water with cotton wool balls but lots of bits wouldn't go and obviously with this heat and the fact that DM isn't cleaning herself properly, I need to get it all off!!

Best thing is for it to be a 2 person job. One holding DM on their lap with her face pointing toward the person's stomach. The other person can then use both hands to clean her up with warm water. If DM's bum slightly overhangs the person's lap it'll mean they dont get too wet too.

Best thing is for it to be a 2 person job. One holding DM on their lap with her face pointing toward the person's stomach. The other person can then use both hands to clean her up with warm water. If DM's bum slightly overhangs the person's lap it'll mean they dont get too wet too.

The warm water just doesn't seem to be doing the trick though and I'm very conscious that whatever I use (if she is able to clean herself again) may be ingested. Bunny poop is like glue! I can't have her get flystrike before we can even deal with the cancer :cry::cry:

The warm water just doesn't seem to be doing the trick though and I'm very conscious that whatever I use (if she is able to clean herself again) may be ingested. Bunny poop is like glue! I can't have her get flystrike before we can even deal with the cancer :cry::cry:

Can you carefully trim off all the soiled fur ?

If you soak the poo (either with their bum in a bowl or sink, or by holding the sponge onto it repeatedly) then it you can usually get it off eventually. You will have to dry them very thoroughly afterwards though, especially if they're unable to clean themselves.

If you soak the poo (either with their bum in a bowl or sink, or by holding the sponge onto it repeatedly) then it you can usually get it off eventually. You will have to dry them very thoroughly afterwards though, especially if they're unable to clean themselves.
This is what I have to do with Coco occasionally. Bottom in the sink with front paws on the side. Hold her firmly so she doesn't hurt herself. Lots of kicking and splashing then she calms down. With just warm water (and rubber gloves! ) I loosen the dried in poo lumps. Then blow dry her. She is deaf so the blow drying isn't too bad. Finally one clean dry Rabbit and one soaked slave.

Anyone know the best way to do this? Have just tried warm salty water with cotton wool balls but lots of bits wouldn't go and obviously with this heat and the fact that DM isn't cleaning herself properly, I need to get it all off!!

Your Darling Mother isn't cleaning herself properly? :shock: Mine was the same but she was very elderly and ill at the time. :lol:

Tabitha Rabbit is also elderly (eight) and doesn't clean herself, poor soul. I bought a storage box. I fill it up to about 5cm with tepid water. I add the rabbit. She's quite a big rabbit so the water covers her feet, tum and bum, not her back. She sits calmly as she can't see anywhere to go because the storage box has high, opaque sides. I stroke her and massage her shoulders (her favourite). After a bit, I pick her up, wrap her in a towel and start to dry her off, using towel and puppy pads. Nearly everything comes off in the dry, and any stuck bits I deal with using my hairdressing scissors bought specially for bunny trims - very carefully, of course. Then more towelling. Then wrap in a big cosy fleece and have a long, long cuddle to be warm and much dryer. in winter, I'd use a hairdryer on its lower setting, held well away from the bunny, at this stage, and fluff up the fur as I go along, as when towelling. Fleece and warm, if damp bun, then go 'back to bed' (into the enclosure) for a bit of peace and quiet. Nobody is traumatised.
Then, I clear up.
This is all very fresh in my mind as I washed Tabby the day before yesterday. Her feetsies and bot are very pretty, fluffy and clean today. :)

Back