• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To neuter or not to neuter

RosieWilly

New Kit
I have 3 bunnies in total, 2 neutered (in attempt to stop fighting, did not succeed) and one not neutered (Rupert! :D

Rupert is a house bunny and i love the fact that he follows me around, even upstairs, however it also means he tries to hump me like all the time, i love his personality so much (apart from the humping) so i'm unsure whether to neuter him or not to stop the humping.

Any advice or help would be great. Many thanks :love:

I'd always get rabbits neutered, I think it's much kinder to let them live their lives free of sexual frustrations and hormones.

I'd always get rabbits neutered, I think it's much kinder to let them live their lives free of sexual frustrations and hormones.

I'm scared about him loosing his personality though, i don't want him to come home and be a completely different rabbit :(

If it makes you feel any better, mine remained fiesty but just doesn't hump or spray or grunt as much

Is yours male, and does he still like follow you around, cause what i love about Rupert is he'll jump up on the sofa with you and follow you from room to room and even upstairs so i don't want him to suddenly stop all this :)

My Pierre is still as naughty as ever. His personality hasn't changed what so ever. It would be better to neuter as he will be less stressed. At the moment he will be having a lot of hormonal emotions which are probably causing him some hassle. He will be without those.

I'm scared about him loosing his personality though, i don't want him to come home and be a completely different rabbit :(

My house bun stayed as loving as ever and carried on grunting and honking away, the only change was he stopped spraying me with wee! :lol:

I would definitely have it done as it's less frustrating for them.

None of our 3 boys personality changed after neuter..still the same but without the hormonal nonsense. ..They are just happier now.

Stephen was a right naughty little humper and used to buzz at me and run in circles etc. He doesn't buzz as much anymore and doesn't hump at all but other than that his personality is the same bless him. It's just nice to know that he's not frustrated and driven crazy by his hormones.

Is yours male, and does he still like follow you around, cause what i love about Rupert is he'll jump up on the sofa with you and follow you from room to room and even upstairs so i don't want him to suddenly stop all this :)

Bunnies tend to follow you around when they're unneutered, purely because they want to hump you. Mine also used to run round and round my feet in circles, and it was funny, but I knew it was only because they were hormonal and sexually frustrated.

All 5 of my bunnies are neutered and I don't regret it at all, they're so much happier now.

I agree with Chloemurray, I'm afraid that some of the traits which you think are cute and adorable are actually a sign of an extremely sexually frustrated rabbit! Your little one will be much happier neutered, I'm sure he will still adore you and want to be with you jump on the sofa and follow you around - bunnies are social and like to have company - but he will probably leave your feet alone more (I used to have one who humped my Winnie the Pooh slippers!!).

It may also be that if you get him neutered, the other two might stop fighting. Very often bunnies will fight if they can smell or see another bunny, especially an unneutered one - so it might solve that problem as well.

Good luck :D

I had the same concern about personality changing but Ludo is exactly the same as before, except now he's not wanting to wee on my front to mark me.

Honestly if he's indoors then you always run the risk of him spraying - including on sockets etc. Also if he's humping then he's feeling frustrated.

I'd get him done asap- the longer they have hormonal behaviours the harder it is to stop them. :wave:

Oh and Ludo still follows me around, but not in that hormonal grunty want to hump you way. Now it's just MUMMY FEED ME. :wave:

We had our boy Alfie castrated when we got our girl Willow, as we didn't want loads of babies! When they were allowed together, it was Willow who was humping Alfie, and it was constant! He got really annoyed with her, so we got her spayed, and after that, things are a lot calmer, although Willow does still occasionally hump Alfie! :/ We didn't notice any change in their actual temperaments, just the humping!

My boy wasn't neutered. It was a male thing, I didn't see why I should remove his balls just to make his character more docile or to limit unsociable behaviors that he didn't really exhibit. He never tried to mount me or anything. He would occasionally mark territory but I would just clean this up. The only thing I regret now is whether neutering might have extended his life, though I am unclear as to whether hormones limit life span of males.

I lost my British Giant girl to a severe womb infection, which my vet said could have been prevented by having her spayed. She was about 6 years old when we lost her.

Back