• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It has been too quick!!

Well, I came from work and wanted to relax a bit with Tete. I opened its cage and after a bit of run and jumping it started licking my arms, then my hands. It let me stroke it and in 20 minutes it was kissing my lips, even let me hold it. This is the third day that it is with me... And maybe I am definitely overprotective, but I am starting thinking that something is wrong... or Tete is just a little loving baby :roll: It is only 8 weeks! Can it be that it is missing its family?? :(

They can bond really quickly with people at that age, my first rabbit did. Sounds pretty normal but he will start needing other rabbit company soon

I wouldn't say anything is wrong, but rabbits are highly social animals and experience higher levels of stress when they are not kept with other rabbits. When rabbits do not have a companion of their own species, the loneliness and their social instincts can drive them to crave attention from other species, like humans. Some will even bond with cuddly toys. Yes, it is probable that he is missing his family, just like a child would miss it's family.

Some rabbits are also naturally friendly and confident, particularly when they are babies. Baby rabbits tend to be much easier to handle than adults and more compliant.

Whilst your rabbit is single, it is important to spend as much time as possible with him. You may also want to give him a cuddly toy, as long as he doesn't destroy it (the stuffing is dangerous if eaten). When you know his sex, you will be able to plan when to neuter him (12 weeks + for a male and 16 weeks + for female). 6-8 weeks after he is neutered you can bond him with a neutered friend and then he will have company all the time and will be happier.

That is so sweet:love: But buns do show more attention to humans if they are lonely. I've noticed a big difference in my bun since he lost his wifey bun last week..he now tugs at my clothes with his teeth and jumps on my bed for a stoke, and loves me to kiss him .Although it is lovely to have a good bond, they are very social and it is even more lovely to see two loved up buns cuddled up together!

I am really glad to have joined this forum.
My house mate is thinking about getting one as well, so it is likely Tete is going to have a bun-friend ;)

Thanks so much for your answers. I have to learn to stop panicking for everything!!

I am really glad to have joined this forum.
My house mate is thinking about getting one as well, so it is likely Tete is going to have a bun-friend ;)

Thanks so much for your answers. I have to learn to stop panicking for everything!!

There are no silly questions, looking after a rabbit is a steep learning curve, so you're bound to panic every now and then, don't worry. It may help to read up on them a bit during upcoming your time off, so that you feel more relaxed and knowledgeable about their care. Here is a good place to start: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html

It would be nice for your bunny to have a new friend, but do discuss it with your housemate carefully. Once rabbits are bonded it is very traumatic to part them, so really both rabbits should have the same owner. They are not able to just have play-time together like dogs, but must live together permanently.

I would also wait till you have a confirmation of your rabbit's sex before you get him/her a friend, as this will affect your available options.

Last edited:
Back