• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ivermectin and Advantage

babsydaisy

New Kit
Hi all,

I went to he vets Friday as she had the snuffles and wasn't eating and they found fleas, I would say they have been there a while as there is a lot of flea poo. I asked if i could should use ivermectin as I had some at home and she said fine. Anyway i put it on Friday night and they are still jumping around as fast as ever. Now reading the forums it seems ivermectin is useless in killing fleas. My question is can I use advantage so soon after ivermectin?

I really need to get rid of those nasty things as the is in so much discomfort. She is on surolan drops, metacam and eye drops and I think it is going to take some time to clear it up, her ear was full if stinky watery white curd and I know they take a long time to get under control.

Sorry to rant on :roll:.

Xxxx

Hi :wave:. I'm sorry but I don't know. I would consider contacting the emergency vet and asking for advise over the phone.

oooh sounds nasty...hope she gets better soon - did you contact the vets to check? Hope she is doing ok..

Out of interest..do you check her ears often? Just wondered as i do check my buns ears a few times a week..and wondered if this build up was over night or longer. Hope she is ok xx;)

Thanks Mackers, they told me to leave advantage well alone for a good few weeks.

To be honest I don't think I had checked her ears for a month, I always check bum and claws but failed on the ear front.

Everything seemed to happen within a day, sounds silly but I noticed one day she didn't go outside, then the next day, her whole face was sopping wet, it looked like her nose had exploded, that's when I noticed the eye too.

Ears were yucky, vet didn't actually check her ears, and I checked when I got home, I think she thought I would have noticed. White pus, but not solid. however I cannot see right inside so I have no idea what's going on. My vet is off til tomorrow so I am going back then. She has got worse since Friday even though I have been cleaning eyes and ears twice a day and giving eye drops, ear drops, Baytril and metacam. She is falling over but can stand up. There is not as much pus now but she started falling over on Sunday when the pus started clearing up, so I very much think my cleaning has pushed it further into the ear. I have been using some surolan I had left over but it's way too greasy, I wonder if it could make it worse but trapping moisture in the ear? She is being syringe fed too and only done a few poops, so I am hoping I can keep her comfy til tomorrow.

My last bun, who was very old was treated for months for falling over, but vestibular disease was never diagnosed and he had no quality of life and stopped eating due to overgrown tooth roots, so I had to have hi, pts.

I really hope she decides to aggressively treat this ear infection with injectable penicillin as she told me that she has had so many lop eared buns with bad middle ear infections that take ages to get better. And a lot she said just didn't make it. Plus is has happened before and I still wonder now if I had insisted on stronger meds my little man would still be with me now.

anyway, I know there are lots of stories about ear infections on here and I know it may be a long ride but she deserves the best care I can give.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow. :?

Thanks Mackers, they told me to leave advantage well alone for a good few weeks.

To be honest I don't think I had checked her ears for a month, I always check bum and claws but failed on the ear front.

Everything seemed to happen within a day, sounds silly but I noticed one day she didn't go outside, then the next day, her whole face was sopping wet, it looked like her nose had exploded, that's when I noticed the eye too.

Ears were yucky, vet didn't actually check her ears, and I checked when I got home, I think she thought I would have noticed. White pus, but not solid. however I cannot see right inside so I have no idea what's going on. My vet is off til tomorrow so I am going back then. She has got worse since Friday even though I have been cleaning eyes and ears twice a day and giving eye drops, ear drops, Baytril and metacam. She is falling over but can stand up. There is not as much pus now but she started falling over on Sunday when the pus started clearing up, so I very much think my cleaning has pushed it further into the ear. I have been using some surolan I had left over but it's way too greasy, I wonder if it could make it worse but trapping moisture in the ear? She is being syringe fed too and only done a few poops, so I am hoping I can keep her comfy til tomorrow.

My last bun, who was very old was treated for months for falling over, but vestibular disease was never diagnosed and he had no quality of life and stopped eating due to overgrown tooth roots, so I had to have hi, pts.

I really hope she decides to aggressively treat this ear infection with injectable penicillin as she told me that she has had so many lop eared buns with bad middle ear infections that take ages to get better. And a lot she said just didn't make it. Plus is has happened before and I still wonder now if I had insisted on stronger meds my little man would still be with me now.

anyway, I know there are lots of stories about ear infections on here and I know it may be a long ride but she deserves the best care I can give.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow. :?

Update - middle/inner ear infection?

Just an update, Daisy has been monitored at the vet all day to see if they could get her eating, and thankfully she is nibbling at things now. She is still falling over. Vet says that she has a perforated ear drum, and she said prognosis with a lot of buns lately with middle ear infections hasn't been good, and if it has gone to the inner ear, that is terrible.

Thankfully I walked out with some depocillin and lots of meds so I hope to see maybe a slight improvement in the next five days.

Fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed this gets it under control.

Does anyone have any experience like mine be it good or bad?

Back