• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood(coagulated?) in urine, at a loss

Rigby

New Kit
Hi everyone,

We recently bought / rescued some bunnies(they were in very poor conditions). We wanted to provide a better environment for them. I believe they are dwarf bunnies. "Mimi" is a female and "High Five Ghost" is a male. We were told they are about 1-2 months of age. They are not spayed or neutered.
Anyway, over the last few days I've been noticing urine that looks like there's blood in it. I've read that it's normal but today we woke up to something a little more alarming. It looks like coagulated blood in the urine. Something to note, while this morning it looked the worst, yesterday we did feed them a lot of pellets. We're not sure though, as these are our first rabbits and we're not as experienced as a lot of you here.

Link to pics: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/x7fajo0ekt2f9/BunnyUrinePics

We took them to the vet the other day in Bangkok and the doctor said they were fine(general checkup). The problem is, we're in Bangkok, Thailand and vet care is not the same back west but we took them to a place recommended by other westerners. They weren't even able to figure out if our bunnies were male or female but the doc said they wouldn't be able to see until 2-3 months of age(can anyone attest to that?). So I'm worried taking them to the vet again, here specifically, that we won't get a clear answer or proper diagnosis.
Our bunnies seem active. They run around, jump every now and then. They eat like little pigs and drink plenty of water. Wake us up from how active they are in the early morning. We have the air conditioner on most of the day, since it does get pretty hot here in Bkk. We have been feeding them Alfalfa hay as well as pellets("Smart Heart" brand). The pellets say "veggies and cereals", are red and green and have a picture of carrots and corn on the bag. The alfalfa hay is "Alex" brand, American alfalfa.
You can see the urine(or what we believe to be urine) in the pics linked to(sorry couldn't post pics for some reason). Somehow the urine ended up outside the cage, don't know how that happened. Also, we did dab paper in some of the urine and the paper turned orange-ish.
Please help. We're at a loss and with poor vet care here in Bkk, we're not sure what steps to take next.

Last edited:
Firstly, don't panic about the urine..a buns urine can be a variety of colour & consitancy from dark red to chalky white.

I also agree that some vets can find it extremely difficult to sex young rabbits..a vet here in UK told me my bridge bun Holly was a girl, when in fact she was a boy. And a certain well know petshop also get the sexes mixed up when selling un-neutered rabbits.

Is the vet able to do neutering? If not, then it best to keep both of them seperate until they can be sexed & neutered, otherwise you could have lots of babies (one may already be pregnant if they had been housed together previously)

Hello

Obviously I cant be 100% certain just from looking at photos online, but the urine looks to be the 'normal' red urine that can occur due to plant pigments within the diet.

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html

Dehydration can also cause very dark urine.

The 'clumps' actually look to be bits of cecotrophs, the soft poo that a Rabbit usually eats directly from his/her bum as part of the normal digestive process

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

Eating a lot of high protein/carbohydrates (in pelleted feed etc) and not enough hay can lead to the Rabbit not eating all their cecotrophs

The male Rabbit has probably now started to spray urine as he reaches puberty. You need to keep the Buck and Doe apart at all times unless you want to breed them. It is possible to ascertain the gender of a Kit (baby Rabbit) at 4-5 weeks of age.

Well done for rescuing the little ones :thumb:

The urine looks like the orange colour bunny wee can sometimes be. The "lumps" looked like the shavings had soaked up the wee? But then my eyes aren't too good.

Thanks so much for the help everyone, very much appreciated!

Yeah the shavings soaked up most of the urine :)

Would y'all suggest they lay off on the pellets and just stick with hay until we can see less pigmentation in their urine?
They go through about 275ml(combined) of water per week, hopefully that's normal. Today completes our first week with them :)

Oh and regarding the breeding bit. What's the earliest they can start mating(dwarf rabbits)? We were told they are about 1 month - 2 months old. Could they have done so at that early of an age?

They are really really great together. They sleep next to each other, groom each other all the time and eat together too. Haven't noticed any biting, yet. I don't want to have to pull them apart too early, but if we had to, they would be in the same 2-tier cage, 1 bunny per floor.

Thanks again for the help! Our bunnies really appreciate it.

I think some caution is advisable re. wood shavings - others might clarify (if I am correct:? ).

yes Cara. We actually are going to switch to a better, more healthier bedding. Went out today to look for some at the pet shop down the street but all they had was scented bedding and kitty litter as well as clay clumping stuff. We're looking for recycled paper bedding or the other alternatives we've read about.
The wood shavings were the only thing we found there last week that wasn't scented, at least it doesn't smell scented but my sense of smell is pretty bad. Might go out later today to check out a different pet shop, so i hope within the next 1-3 days we'll have better bedding for the little guys.

Hello again,

I'm back with another question, same topic. My dwarf bunny's urine is inconsistent. Meaning, while sometimes she pees a yellow, pale color pee or with no color at all, other times she'll pee orange-ish red pee(which i keep thinking is blood! until it dries and appears orange-brown). Is inconsistency something to worry about? I haven't changed her diet at all in the last 5-6 days. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
Hello again,

I'm back with another question, same topic. My dwarf bunny's urine is inconsistent. Meaning, while sometimes she pees a yellow, pale color pee or with no color at all, other times she'll pee orange-ish red pee(which i keep thinking is blood! until it dries and appears orange-brown). Is inconsistency something to worry about? I haven't changed her diet at all in the last 5-6 days. Thanks for any help you can provide.

http://www.greendale.co.uk/rabbit_urinalysis.html

Thanks Jack's-Jane

I read the article but I still don't know what to make out of the inconsistency of the colors. Looks like within one day, she'll pee 2-3 different colors of pee. Would this type of thing be considered normal? I'm just afraid she's having a UTI issue or something else. She's still active and eating / drinking a lot.

Back