• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny guard?

Tink123

New Kit
Hi All

Wondering if you can help. My bunny has recently moved from indoor to outdoor he has a hutch with a built in run but I obviously let him run around the garden daily for as long as I can.

For the first week or so I watched him like a hawk but there was no real risks and no where I thought he could escape from. So I was happy to potter on with things inside with the patio doors open and just keep check on him. Until last weekend....we have a small gap under the garden gate which my dad quite cleverly wedged an old piece of carpet to block the gap it was barely noticeable and Tink was safe!

However last week he had somehow un wedged the carpet and I found him on the driveway safe and well but I was freaking out!!!

Now no matter what I put Infront he tries to pull it away or climb underneath and to be honest it looks like a barracade! I ideally I need a baby gate ha that can just be put up when he's running around and stored when he's back in his hutch.

I don't want to have to stop him running around but even when I'm sitting there he tries to escape!

Any suggestions? Something he can't move, get underneath or on top of? Which can be easily moved so we can still access the back gate.

Thanks

Bunnies are little minxes and will ALWAYS try to get to the very spot you don't want them in. It seems to be their mission in life :lol:.

You are going to get some replies here telling you not to let your bunny free range due to the risk from predators. It's completely your choice whether you allow it or not. There ARE risks but you have to weigh up the pros and cons of him having a lovely life, running around the garden rather than being confined to a secure run. In my opinion, it's no different from keeping a house cat, confined but safe, against a cat allowed to roam the streets. It may get run over by a car or attacked by a dog but its owner considers it a worthwhile risk to allow the cat some freedom. For information, I allow my bunnies free run of the garden when I'm at home, even though they have a secure and massive run. My bunnies, my choice. I know the risks.

Now that's out of the way, have you thought about puppy panels as a temporary barrier in front of the gate? Or some wire panels purchased fromB&Q or Homebase secured within a wooden frame and hinged so that they can be stood anywhere? It would need to be about 4ft high as bunnies love to scale anything lower ;).

Hi

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I much prefer letting him run around even just for an hour or so, it's a nice bit of freedom and he loves it, especially after being a house bunny previously.

I didn't even know puppy panels exist that could be good to look into.

He wil obviously still try and get round it but still there's some good ones online too!

As long as you are watching and there aren't any predators then your rabbit should be safe. I have a lot of bulb flowers in my garden which are poisonous to rabbits and also a lot of cats and foxes, so Doughnut has a run in the garden. She has the whole of downstairs to run around in at home so I don't feel bad, would rather know she is safe.

Everyone knows how safe their garden is so they are the best judges, but I would always keep an eye on them.

A photo would help. I would guess the best solution is probably to have something solid under the gate, if you don't already, just a bit of paving to give you a flat surface. And then to nail a strip of board the appropriate size to the bottom of the gate to fill the gap. Just leave about 10mm clearance so it opens easily but he can't fit :)

Back