• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Susie looks in pain again? A week after stasis

Jesselle

Mama Doe
Susie has been very bright all day, a week after going into stasis.

In the past half hour I've noticed she's stretching out, wanting to lay down and is looking a little 'out of sorts'.

She's still eating - but she the other symptoms are worrying me.

What should I do?? Emergency vet? Wait til tomorrow (I'm meant to be in the office over next 3 days).

C'mon Susie :(

She's let me have a feel. I'm not entirely sure how a bunny tum should feel but it wasn't solid or anything.

She was pooping earlier on this eve but I've been sitting downstairs for the eve.

She's flopped right out in their little den area, hidden away :(

I don't know if I'm hearing things but I think I heard some tummy noises? Not sure.

Oww she's left some pellets, ate a couple left the rest and stretched out.

Is it better to get her treatment now or should I wait as this could pass?

It is a job to know for sure but if there are symptoms enough to notice maybe it would be better to take her sooner. The tummy is normally quite solid/hard when they have stasis, with little or no gut sounds. I hope someone else posts with more advice soon x

Thanks Clare.

She's nibbled stuff in last hour but not her usual greedy self!

It's more the stretching out looking uncomfortable that worries me as it's not like her.

It's good that she is nibbling bits, try to keep offering them & see if you can get her to move about too - but try not to stress her.

I had a girl who had stasis lots in the 9.5 yrs I had her, usually at night, leaving me with the same worry as your having now so I understand completely how stressed it makes you.

It's good that she is nibbling bits, try to keep offering them & see if you can get her to move about too - but try not to stress her.

I had a girl who had stasis lots in the 9.5 yrs I had her, usually at night, leaving me with the same worry as your having now so I understand completely how stressed it makes you.

Emergency vet said to syringe some water and feed over night to see how she goes...

She's been up and down stairs all day lol... Will make her go for a run.

She's pooped - but is still looking lethargic.

You could try some infacol in case she's gassy. I give 1-2cc for the first dose, then 1cc for the next two doses an hour apart. Usually I will see an improvement not long after the second dose.

Something she is eating may be causing this to occur, so that's something to try and sort out, and eliminate the food from her diet. Sometimes it can be a particular veg, cruciferous ones especially, or it could be the pellets or even some hays can cause issues. I have a bun that can't have pellets because they cause digestive upset for him.

You could try some infacol in case she's gassy. I give 1-2cc for the first dose, then 1cc for the next two doses an hour apart. Usually I will see an improvement not long after the second dose.

Something she is eating may be causing this to occur, so that's something to try and sort out, and eliminate the food from her diet. Sometimes it can be a particular veg, cruciferous ones especially, or it could be the pellets or even some hays can cause issues. I have a bun that can't have pellets because they cause digestive upset for him.

Thanks - I have been wanting to get to the bottom of it and have been wondering about foods.

I don't have any infacol - but will get some.

Just woken to see if I needed to do a syringe feed - fingers crossed she's up and about and eating!

I can also see her poops in the tray.

Touch wood she's feeling better

Thank goodness she's feeling better, sending vibes for her

thanks for the vibes.

she was up and about this morning, chomping on hay etc. she looked fine. slightly nervous as i'm at work all day and no one is home, but hopefully the worst has passed.

i'm going to review her diet. the only greens she has regularly are spring greens, though the rescue did say she hadn't had greens in her diet as apparently she'd not had them in her previous home.

she's VERY keen on them and tends to tuck into neville's share if i don't watch her - could they/the amount be causing upset?

the rest of her diet consists of:

excel pellets - limited
fibafirst sticks
a mix of ings, timothy and rye and wilkos timothy hay (wilkos hay hasn't looked very good lately)
carrot / apple piece - once a week/once every two weeks
dried herbs - mixture of brands

she drinks a lot of water - i currently have a bigger bowl on its way as between they empty their bowl at least twice a day.

can anyone spot anything off?

Glad she was eating hay this morning & hope she is ok when you get home.

I very rarely give a slice of apple, probably not even once a month, it can be quite acidic and if she's sensitive it might be that?! Perhaps just try leaving it out & see how she goes. Eliminating one thing at a time is what I would try.

Let us know how she is when you get home, extra vibes x

Might be worth trying cutting out the greens/apple/carrot and see how she goes, and reintroduce slowly one thing at a time then you would see if anything affected her. I would have thought all the other things should be fine.

Sorry Susie doesn't seem too well again - the only thing I would suggest is cutting out the veg as because she has never had any she may not be able to tolerate it. Then see if she remains ok.

Back