• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur and biting problems

WelshGirl

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

Hope someone can advise please! My two buns have a room to themselves downstairs and plenty of space. Arthur in particular sheds a lot of fluffy fur and I have to hoover every day, Gwen is a shorter fur but she has started looking so scruffy! I feel like a terrible bunny mummy! They both hate being brushed and run away, but Arthur tolerates a little bit if you catch him while he's eating. Should they be shedding so much fur? I don't know what breed they are - Arthur is semi-long fur while Gwen has much shorter fur...

The other problem I've noticed is that there are clumps of fur sticking out of Gwen, and I think Arthur is doing it?! They are both neutered, an have been living together for a year now and I never see them fight but he must be nipping the fur and pulling it out. She looks terrible! My husband and I had to make a grab for her last night (plenty of scrams) so that I could hold her and he brushed loads of fur out. She looked much better but this morning agin she looks like a headgehog!! Why is he doing it?

They have both been eating overweight rabbit pellets for a month as they got a little chubby from having to stay at my mums when we had work done to the house; it would have scared them. I'm going to weigh them this weekend, but would losing too much weight cause the fur issue? Or is it just natural? They weren't like it last year 😳

Thanks so much for any help xxx

I suspect they're just both moulting. One of my bunnies currently looks like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards and has bits of fur sticking up all over her rear-end. Once the moult has finished, I'm sure they'll look like normal again. As for brushing - mine hate it. I tend to put Pod on my lap and then just hand-strip the fur out for as long as she'll tolerate it (which isn't long).

I suspect they're just both moulting. One of my bunnies currently looks like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards and has bits of fur sticking up all over her rear-end. Once the moult has finished, I'm sure they'll look like normal again. As for brushing - mine hate it. I tend to put Pod on my lap and then just hand-strip the fur out for as long as she'll tolerate it (which isn't long).

Thanks so much for your reply! :) I'm glad it's not just my bunnies looking like they've been dragged through a hedge backwards! Neither likes to be picked up or held, Arthur likes snuggles on the floor so I'll just keep brushing as much as I can 😳 xx

Yes, when they are moulting it can come out in clumps. I find the easiest thing with heavy moult like that is just to pluck it out with your fingers whilst stroking them - obviously only the lose bits but if you pluck gently the lose stuff comes out and it doesn't tug the rest.

It's amazing how much fluff comes out of a small rabbit!

Yes, when they are moulting it can come out in clumps. I find the easiest thing with heavy moult like that is just to pluck it out with your fingers whilst stroking them - obviously only the lose bits but if you pluck gently the lose stuff comes out and it doesn't tug the rest.

It's amazing how much fluff comes out of a small rabbit!

The floor is covered in fluff again already!!! More hoovering for the morning 😄 Gwen is just so nervous and runs away all the time 😔

Back