• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RIP Gilbert...

gbwms

Young Bun
Well Gilbert, my little buddy for almost seven years, died two weeks ago. Not exactly recent, but I didn't really want to post anything until now. It's hard to imagine that I was only about 3 years old when he was born (I am 15)! I got him from the humane society when he was 6, I was around 9. So he was considered a "senior" pet when I adopted him. He was always making me laugh. He just could not let me stop petting him, even if it meant hopping straight into my lap for more attention.

But when he got older, he was having trouble breathing and standing up on his own. I knew I had to let him go soon. But I didn't want to, and was selfishly keeping him alive just for me. I just wanted a few more days with him. Then one night when I went down to feed him, I saw that since he couldn't stand up, he had somehow gotten his front paw wedged in the bottom of his wire cage. I finally got it out, but it was badly broken. The poor thing was in a lot of pain. We went and had him put down that night. I felt so terrible. Now I realize that it really is important and so much better to have your pet put down a day early rather than a day too late. So if you are considering putting your pet down, please remember this. It will save you a lot of guilt and pain, both yours and your pet's.

Love you, Gilby. Rest in peace little guy.

Well Gilbert, my little buddy for almost seven years, died two weeks ago. Not exactly recent, but I didn't really want to post anything until now. It's hard to imagine that I was only about 3 years old when he was born (I am 15)! I got him from the humane society when he was 6, I was around 9. So he was considered a "senior" pet when I adopted him. He was always making me laugh. He just could not let me stop petting him, even if it meant hopping straight into my lap for more attention.

But when he got older, he was having trouble breathing and standing up on his own. I knew I had to let him go soon. But I didn't want to, and was selfishly keeping him alive just for me. I just wanted a few more days with him. Then one night when I went down to feed him, I saw that since he couldn't stand up, he had somehow gotten his front paw wedged in the bottom of his wire cage. I finally got it out, but it was badly broken. The poor thing was in a lot of pain. We went and had him put down that night. I felt so terrible. Now I realize that it really is important and so much better to have your pet put down a day early rather than a day too late. So if you are considering putting your pet down, please remember this. It will save you a lot of guilt and pain, both yours and your pet's.

Love you, Gilby. Rest in peace little guy.

I am so sorry for your loss :cry: The bold font in your post is so true and you are showing great maturity to state it on here whilst going through a lot of grief yourself. We all do our best in any given situation when caring for our Rabbits. Lessons learned the hard way are ones we never forget. I speak as one who has made mistakes and had to learn the hard way too.

RIP Gilbert xx

I'm so sorry you lost Gilbert :cry: I'm sure he had a very happy life with you, try to take comfort in that.
Binky free at the bridge Gilbert xx

Back