• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Folks who have dog kennels as hutches.....

Katex

Warren Scout
Do you have any "window" in the enclosed bit?

Our gorgeous babies have moved in today and I'm concerned that the enclosed bit of the kennel is too dark. Does anyone have a window or holes? Or am I overthinking this and they can see perfectly well in the dark and don't need any holes/window for light to shine in?

It just seems so dark and enclosed :( light does come in from the small holes that lead into the run but even so......

Yes mine has a window in the enclosed bit, I also leave the main door open on nice days to get some airflow and additional light in (it's a full size door)

Does it have a seperate door, could you make an inner mesh door that you leave open in the daytime? You could even put Perspex over it in the winter so they could still have the main door open

Thanks Catherine :)

It just seems so dark and I'm sure they can't see their sitting shelf properly in the enclosed bit. I might have to think about making a mesh door, or Perspex or something.

Ahhhh I didn't stress about my own babies this much!

I don't think they need a window BUT I had a perspex window looking out into the run end of the kennel, if only to make it easier for me to clean without needing to turn lights on etc.

I've managed to source some mesh in a wooden panel, so will use that during warm days, it'll just slip in to the existing frame so that's good.

On colder days I think I might make a window high up between the run and the enclosed bit, so that some light gets in there, but it's not causing a draught. I just feel they need some light to be able to see, especially as there's a triangular shelf in the enclosed bit and I'd hate for one of them to fall off in the dark. It does have a little bit of light through the pop holes (30cm x 30cm each).

Yes mine has a window, i asked the guy who built it to put one in, as i thought the same as you about it being too dark! :wave:

I have a dog kennel/run.

We have a 'hutch' in the kennel area which will be completely in the dark. I think that would be more natural, as in the wild warrens underground would not have windows :) Having said that, the 'run' area is fully open to daylight as it has large openings, weather protected by Perspex :)

I have a dog kennel/run.

We have a 'hutch' in the kennel area which will be completely in the dark. I think that would be more natural, as in the wild warrens underground would not have windows :) Having said that, the 'run' area is fully open to daylight as it has large openings, weather protected by Perspex :)
Yes I suppose it'd be natural :D but I have noticed that they aren't sitting in the hutch area at all, they only use the run area, even for sleeping. I'm going to get some perspex by the autumn to weather proof it though, I think that's a fab idea.

I've got a mesh panel which I'm putting in the enclosed door bit while I'm in the house, and I've secured with with catches, so bunnies are safe, but can have light during the day (and more ventilation which is good on a scorching day like this). They still aren't sitting in the enclosed bit :D but at least I'm happy that they are catered for! At night, well they'll just have to take their chances on falling off a shelf!

My dog kennel / run has windows all the way across bottom half is removable for warm days and I attach mosquito netting to keep bugs out but fresh air in :)

81303d64526c374745c703445f1075c4.jpg

And Hatter and Rosie Live here :)

3d66e101a99a0af0a9614768d5c9b8fb.jpg

Last edited:
Back