• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam help please! Think Marble (Star) may be in pain

It does sound a very low dose, it sounds as if you've been given what used to be the recommended dose (basically double the dog dose) but in more recent times, this recommendation has been upped enormously as it has been discovered that rabbits process it much more quickly than had been thought.

No one here is able to advise you to give a different dose to that prescribed by a qualified vet, but you could ring the out of hours vet and ask for their advice. They're usually happy to give advice over the phone and may be able to suggest a higher dose if you tell them the dose that is currently being given.

Hope Marble picks up soon xxx

Is it possible for you phone the out of hours vets and have a chat with them?

My Wallace was 2.4kg and was on 0.9ml Metacam (for dogs) twice daily. He had severe respiratory issues.

I hope she will be OK. xx

It does sound a very low dose, it sounds as if you've been given what used to be the recommended dose (basically double the dog dose) but in more recent times, this recommendation has been upped enormously as it has been discovered that rabbits process it much more quickly than had been thought.

No one here is able to advise you to give a different dose to that prescribed by a qualified vet, but you could ring the out of hours vet and ask for their advice. They're usually happy to give advice over the phone and may be able to suggest a higher dose if you tell them the dose that is currently being given.

Hope Marble picks up soon xxx

Waiting for a call back from the on call vet.
Hope they don't want me to take her in, she won't come out from under the bed :roll:

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

I don't think they will but once you tell them her weight they will probably say to up it, fingers crossed.

I know Doughnut by the second day was a lot better and because she wasn't in any pain I had to try and restrict her so she didn't break the stitches!

The on call vet is the same vet who did her spay. She said she didn't give her the maximum dosage as she's always a bit wary, so we can definitely increase it. She's now on 0.6mls every twelve hours, so a 0.4ml increase per day

That still sounds low, is she rabbit savvy. I guess you need to go along with that, hopefully the increase will help and you will notice a difference. If not I would call again tomorrow morning, sounds like she works to the old system!

That still sounds low, is she rabbit savvy. I guess you need to go along with that, hopefully the increase will help and you will notice a difference. If not I would call again tomorrow morning, sounds like she works to the old system!

She is rabbit savvy, she's recommended by RWAF as well, and she has buns of her own. She did say to call back tomorrow if I'm still worried, and that she will come out to see her. She also said that it's still not the max dosage, but she'd rather give her enough to ease the pain, than have her on a high enough dosage that she becomes more active and possibly damages herself.
She's come out from under the bed, and is eating a spring leaf green now, not too worried as I've just seen a HUGE pile of poops in her bed :lol: just don't want her in so much pain that she won't move to get food etc.

That's good then, at least you can give her some more to get her through the night now. Hopefully lots more poos by the morning!

Thanks for the help/advice everyone.

She's been eating all day, but only little bits, and mostly when I've stretched under the bed to give it to her. Now she's had another dose, shes moving a little bit more, and eating lots

She certainly picked up last night. She was moving around a lot more than she did all day yesterday, and was eating well, and wanting some fussing :lol:

Back