• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syringe feeding and bunny doesn't seem to swallow?

Kelly11

Warren Scout
Hi my rabbit Dillon has been unwell for a well an have had to syringe feed in The past and he always seems to swallow and chew but he deteriated the other day and we went to see Molly at Holmes chapel . They can't run tests yet as he's too unwell so need to get him better so have lots of drugs and critical care food . Problem is this time I come to syringe he doesn't seem to chew or swallow and im worried it's sat in his mouth! I need to give him 30ml every 4 hours and I'm worried as I can't see him eating it has anyone else had this problem ? Xx

Yes our rabbit Phyllis was exactly like this. We had to syringe some food in and then put her on the floor and make her move around. She would then swallow it!

The problem was that we had to do this after every 2-3 ml and she had to have 15 ml every hour. Needless to say, feeding her took the best part of an hour! We had around ten minutes every hour when we didn't feed her.

Fingers crossed that your bun is more cooperative!

Ahhh I'll try getting him to move about! I'm trying to do that anyway and he just sits their and I'm scared nothing's moving! I like rubbed his cheeks to try and get him to chew but I'm concious I can see it all at the front of his mouth! I mean it must go somewhere ? Lol I have to give him 30mls every 4 hours :( he was never like this before but since his deteriated he's worse :( xx

Personally I think you need to take him back to the Vet today. If he is refusing syringe feeds or taking next to nothing of them then he will continue to deteriorate. Also, if you are giving medication orally he may not be swallowing that either. He may require medication via injection.

Can you call the Vet now and ask them to admit your Rabbit for intensive care ?

We are getting the syringes in and he does some grinding but not like he use to :( yeah we are giving loads of meds too before feeding xx

Back