• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mixed messages...

NJK

Warren Scout
Apologies for not having posted for a while, just wondered if anyone could help me. Have been bonding my two rabbits slowly and took the plunge to get them together yesterday. Put them in the conservatory and there was quite a lot of nipping by him but by the end they were lying side by side so decided I would try them together overnight. No problem this morning, both fine and no evidence of fur pulling etc but as soon as I came in he started chasing her and nipping her a bit :(. I have to say though she is a bit of a drama queen but still... Anyway I have had them in the run today all afternoon and again he chased her round etc but after about 1 1/2 hours they were lying next to each other and he was grooming her. Just put them back and, again, back to chasing. They have been living in the shed (alternating between hutch which is inside shed and shed) for about four weeks now. lt was 'his' territory as in he was living there before we got her but I have totally cleaned the shed with vinegar solution plus everything in it. Should I be worried?

I would leave them in one place until they get used to each other for longer periods and then gradually extend that space. Each time you move them it can be like a new bonding phase so if you can keep them in one place for longer this may help.

Don 't give up they are just getting used to each other by the sounds of it.

Every time you move them, they are having to re-establish dominance - this is what you are seeing. Whilst bonding, you shouldn't change the setting and you really should not leave them unsupervised either.

They aren't doing anything worrying, but you'll be putting them back, almost to square one, every time you move them. Even rabbits that have been bonded for years can have rough patches if you move them.

Every time you move them, they are having to re-establish dominance - this is what you are seeing. Whilst bonding, you shouldn't change the setting and you really should not leave them unsupervised either.

They aren't doing anything worrying, but you'll be putting them back, almost to square one, every time you move them. Even rabbits that have been bonded for years can have rough patches if you move them.

I hadn't realised that :( thanks

When you have some time (maybe easter weekend? ) you could keep them in the same space and supervise 24 hours a day - you'll probably get further that way - in fact you may even get it all done over the 4 days.

I would keep them together in one place until there is no chasing or fur pulling. Bonding at this time of the year is pretty risky because many rabbits get "spring fever" and they tend to be really hormonal. However, it seems like your two are doing well. Just take it slowly, don't rush things and I'm sure they will be fine. :)

Mine always hump and chase when they are moved and they have been bonded since September. :roll: Fortunately they calm down after a few minutes now.

I would keep them together in one place until there is no chasing or fur pulling. Bonding at this time of the year is pretty risky because many rabbits get "spring fever" and they tend to be really hormonal. However, it seems like your two are doing well. Just take it slowly, don't rush things and I'm sure they will be fine. :)

Mine always hump and chase when they are moved and they have been bonded since September. :roll: Fortunately they calm down after a few minutes now.

Thanks for the advice x

Back