• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bun won't eat hay

xlizx

New Kit
Diana who we picked up a few days ago wont eat hay, when we picked her up the family we got her from told she didn't like it but still gave us the bag of hay they had been trying to give her, it was so old and very cheap pet shop hay so I don't really blame her for not wanting to eat it. Since being here she has had a little nibble of hay when she has seen Twiggy eat it but not nearly enough. Is there anything I can do to try and encourage her? and is there any kind of replacement I can give her in the mean time?

I think seeing her friend eating hay will be a great encouragement and as long as you don't overfeed her with pellets she should start eating it. Can you pick some grass for her in the meantime or a little bit of Readigrass.

I think seeing another bunny eating will encourage a lot. Anton ate very little other than pellets 2 weeks ago and we were told this was very normal for him, since being in with pops who I have worked very hard with to have a lot of variety on her diet he has started eating hay and herbs as well as fiberfirst sticks. His poos have gone from black bullets to almost having a golden shine to them in just a week!

Keep offering lots of selection and I'm sure your other bun will do a good job of teaching :)

I had a bunny that didn't eat hay. Every time I put it in his hutch, he just used it as a toilet!! He wouldn't even nibble on it. I had to give him extra veg etc. He used to eat all of his pellets though. He passed away in January of old age. He was 11/12 years old.
4uqyruny.jpg

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep trying, she loves fresh veg and herbs, twiggy would never eat them until he saw Diana eating them so I'm really hoping she will do the same with hay, its still early days so hopefully she will get better, her poo is awful though Its like little human poos :shock: but the family who had her before said her favorite foods were prawn crackers and sandwiches :? so it probably going to take her tummy some time to adjust to a normal bunny diet

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep trying, she loves fresh veg and herbs, twiggy would never eat them until he saw Diana eating them so I'm really hoping she will do the same with hay, its still early days so hopefully she will get better, her poo is awful though Its like little human poos :shock: but the family who had her before said her favorite foods were prawn crackers and sandwiches :? so it probably going to take her tummy some time to adjust to a normal bunny diet

Prawn crackers and sandwiches?! I'm lost for words...

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

poor wee soul. glad to hear you have her and she's safe and sound..

Maybe even mixing readigrass in amongst her hay might encourage nibbling.
Or try one of the many hays available online from the hay experts or hay for pets.

Many smell very nommy ......

Good luck
Fee x

Back