• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny nose again!

TD86

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone

Further to my last thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?414620-Runny-nose-!

I have spent the day in and out with the rabbits and noticed Penfold has mucus again! There was a bit of white mucus on her left nostril today at around 2pm, I went out there around 20 minutes later and there was nothing. There has been nothing all day after that. Last time she had it (and there was less), the vet gave me baytril with a 10 day course which I stopped after around five days as there was no mucus and she hates to be handled so I felt I was stressing her out more than helping her. She's eating, pooping etc as normal and I just don't know what to do with her. I almost feel as if I hadn't seen her at the times that I have, I wouldn't even have known!

Any ideas??

Unfortunately stopping antibiotics after just 5 days can mean that the infection is only partly resolved leaving the 'hardier' bacteria still present, even if the clinical symptoms have apparently cleared. This is why it is always so important to complete a full course of antibiotic treatment. There can also be the risk of the development of antibiotic resistance if a course is not completed.

So I would take her back to the Vet. I'd suggest requesting a different antibiotic this time- ie SEPTRIN. Giving Baytril again after not completing a previous course might not be the best idea. Also, most Rabbits love the taste of Septrin. Septrin is Banana flavoured

Good luck xx

Back