• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear trouble

K_khan05

New Kit
Hi everyone,

One of my rabbits really enjoys licking inside my other rabbits ears, so much so that sometimes I worry that she might knock his brains. :) However it now seems that it's more of a nibble then a lick and she is physically causing damage to his ear. He doesn't seem to mind her doing it though and sometimes even encourages it. I've been to the vet on 2 occasions as I was worried that he had ear mites but he was treated for that. Are you aware of anything that I could rub in his ears that would stop her licking/nibbling them or any other ways to alter her behaviour? She's a pretty stubborn bunny, doesn't react to 'no' and isn't phased by much.

Thank you

Did the Vet thoroughly check in the ear canals for signs of infection ? The over-grooming behaviour you describe can occur a lot when there is an ear infection involved.

Can you give more details as to exactly when this behaviour occurs and what your Rabbit's accommodation is like with regards to space and environmental enrichment.

I would not put anything onto the ears, certainly not until you are certain it is a behavioural issue and not due to a health problem.

Back