• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Guinea pig question

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
My sweet little Pip died last night (I posted about it on here). She was lethargic and kept rolling over and bashing into the side of the pen. Very odd. She (and her mum) had both had cough/sneezes for a few weeks and have all been on baytril and something else that I cant remember atm.

Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this strange rolling around and bumping into the puppy pen, almost as if she was blind? I realise that a pm would be the only thing to give a certain (more certain) answer. I am just a little worried that it could be something infectious and that the other two may be at risk. She wasnt very old (born in rescue in 2010).

She might have developed head tilt as a result of an ear infection. I have had a number of tilted piggies, although none that rolled the way rabbits often do.

I'm sorry you lost her. Piggies are such characters.

Sadly many piggies only just live to four years. They get old so fast:( Of course some live quite a bit longer but you can't count on it. Any time past 4 is a bonus, doubly so as as I always say guinea pigs improve with age.

I was going to say inner ear infection too. :( Not that I have experienced/witnessed it.

So sorry for your loss.

This sounds like how my first piggy was when I found him collapsed , he had suddenly became thin overnight and kept rolling into his side when he tried to walk.

We took him to the vets (this was in 2011 so our old not the most savviest of vets) and they believe he had a bleed to the brain and because of his age (6 years,10 months) and his issues with impaction etc he had to be put to sleep. So it is possible that little Pip could of experienced something similar.

Also as already said , some piggies do only live until 4 :(

Thank you all for your replies. I do hope she didnt suffer too much. She looked absolutely perfect ... Jacky (her mum) and their boar companion, Basil both seem fine. Eating and dozing as usual. I have ordered them a little fabric tent thing from just add pets ...

I keep looking over at them and appreciating them. Rip Pip xxx

Are the GPs anywhere near your Rabbits ? Bordetella Bronchiseptica can cause respiratory problems and otitis media in GPs. Rabbits are often asymptomatic carriers of Bordetella but it is highly pathogenic to GPs

Back